Trumpington Village Sign unveiled June 2010, designed by Sheila Betts.
Trumpington Local History Group
Trumpington Personalities:
homas Chaplen, early 1600s
Copyright © Trumpington Local History Group, 2019. Updated 12 March 2019.
Thomas Chaplen was Lord of the Manor of Trumpington when the 'New
River' was made through Trumpington in the early 1600s.
Harvesting the Showground fields, Clay Farm, with Hobson’s Brook in
the foreground, before the start of house building, Aug 2007.
New homes on Southwell Drive, beside Hobson's Brook, Feb 2017.
Thomas Chaplen was Lord of the Manor of Trumpington in the early 1600s. In the Medieval
period, there were five manors within the parish of Trumpington. From the late 14th century, the
foremost of these manors was held by the De La Pole family. In 1574, John Chaplen, a
Trumpington yeoman, purchased the De La Poles manor. When John Chaplyn died in 1602, the
manor descended to his son Thomas Chaplyn. (The Chaplen name was also written as Chaplin,
Chaplyn and Chapley.) In the early 1600s, the university and town were planning to improve the
stream flowing through Trumpington from Nine Wells to Cambridge, as the basis for a water
supply into the town. This was intended to provide fresh water and flush out the King's Ditch
which surrounded the town. In 1610, Thomas Chaplen, as chief lord of the manor, granted a
wayleave to make the 'New River' through Trumpington, to supply water along Hobson's Brook
to Hobson's Conduit (both names adopted some years after construction). The 'New River' goes
from south to north across the heart of what later became known as Clay Farm. In 1615,
Thomas Chaplyn sold the manor to his nephew John Baron. In 1785, the manor was sold to
Jeremy Pemberton and combined with the main Pemberton estate. Chaplin and Thomas Hobson
are commemorated on a monument at the Nine Wells Local Nature Reserve, erected in 1861.
The Clay Farm Centre is near Hobson’s Brook.

One of the streets in the Clay Farm development is named Chaplen Street.

In March 2019, one of the rooms in the Clay Farm Centre was named the Chaplen Room.