|Trumpington Local History Group
Background to the name
|Copyright © Trumpington Local History Group, 2016. Updated 18 May 2016.
homes at the northern
end of Whitelocks
Drive. Photo: Andrew
Roberts, 20 November
|Whitelocks Drive is in the northern part of the Clay Farm development (the Aura development),
south of Plantation Avenue, between Lime Avenue/Forbes Close and Hobson's Brook. The
construction of homes started in 2015.
|Whitelocks Drive. Source: © OpenStreetMap contributors (Howard Slatter).
|Howard Slatter and Sheila Glasswell gave a presentation about the origin
of the name 'Whitelocks Drive' at the Local History Group meeting on 12
November 2015. This is among a number of streets named after local
personalities, in this case the Whitelocke family who lived in Trumpington
in the 17th-18th century and established a charity to support local people.
There is a separate page with information about the derivation of street
|Progress with the construction of homes on the southern arm of Whitelocks Drive near
the community college. Photo: Andrew Roberts, 11 April 2015 and 1 November 2015.
|Whitelocks Drive is named after the Whitelocke family, also known as Whitelock. In 1657, Sir
James Whitelocke married Mary Pychard, who lived at Trumpington Hall. Sir Francis
Pemberton purchased the Hall in 1675, but Lady Whitelocke remained there until her death in
1715. Her son, George Whitelocke (or Whitelock), died in 1724 and was buried in Trumpington.
In his will, he left a house on the west side of the High Street to help relieve poverty in
Trumpington, the income from which was to provide 34 poor households with coal, the coal to
be of the cheapest! Coats with brass buttons were also given annually to 6 widowed persons and
Whitelock's house and malting were reconstructed in 1819, to be let as 20 cottages to poor
people and the land to be let as allotments. Later in the 19th, century they were rebuilt as 13
cottages and 4 almshouses fronting the High Street, known as Whitelock's Yard or Workhouse
|Trumpington village in 1830. Detail from
Baker's Map of the University and Town
of Cambridge, 1830. Reproduced by
permission of Cambridgeshire Records
|Cottages and yard, thought to be Whitlock’s in the
1880s. Percy Robinson and Cambridgeshire
|In 1963, the site was sold to the City Council, who by 1968 had built Whitlocks, a block with
bed-sit accommodation for people over the age of 60 ("White locks", it was said, might be seen
as a derogatory comment on older people). In later years it was used to house student nurses and
refugees. The new apartment block was built in the mid 2000s, the fifth use of this site in the
last 200 years.
|Whitlocks, c. 2000. Cambridgeshire
|Whitlocks, c. 2010. Photo: Stephen Brown.
|When the Local History Group and the Residents' Association were proposing names for streets
in the new developments, it seemed very appropriate to remember the Whitelock family and