Trumpington Village Sign unveiled June 2010, designed by Sheila Betts.
Trumpington Local History Group
Derivation of Trumpington Street
Names
Copyright © Trumpington Local History Group, 2017. Updated 3 May 2017.
Email:
admin@trumpingtonlocalhistorygroup.org
Notes about the derivation of the names of the streets in Trumpington,
organised from north to south. We would appreciate feedback and
additional information. New entries are added as the major housing
developments proceed.
Inland Revenue Land Value map for Trumpington, 1910-11, with
annotated names of Long Road and Gazeley Road. Reproduced by
permission of Cambridgeshire Archives, file 470/047, sheet XLVII.10.
Trumpington Road: the road between Trumpington village and the Lensfield Road junction
with Trumpington Street, Cambridge; shown as 'Turnpike Road' on the 1804 inclosure map;
named
London Road on Baker's 1830 map and Trumpington Road on the 1880 Ordnance
Survey map. On the 1910 Land Value map, 'Trumpington Road' was used for the road now
called the High Street as well as the extension north to Cambridge but now only used for the
road north from the Long Road junction.

Chaucer Road: named after Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1343-1400), poet, writer of The Canterbury
Tales
, including The Reeve's Tale (which has references to Trumpington). Also Chaucer Close,
built in the late 1980s;
Southacre Drive leading to Southacre Close, also built in the late 1980s,
and The Coach House, Hinxton House, Chesterford House, Barrington House, Chippenham
House and Thriplow House, plus Southacre Flats; and
Edwinstowe Close, built in the grounds
of Edwinstowe house in the early 1990s. The Southacre area is named after the house built for
Reverend Henry Latham, which was accessed from Latham Road. Hinxton House, etc., are
named after local parishes. Edwinstowe Close is named after Edwinstowe House. See
Chaucer
Road and Latham Road and Rus in Urbe.
Latham Road: named after Reverend Henry Latham (1821-1902), Master of Trinity Hall,
whose house, Southacre, was built in 1880. Also
Latham Close. See Rus in Urbe.

Queensway: built in the Queen's Silver Jubilee year, 1977.

Newton Road: named after Trinity College fellow Isaac Newton (1642-1727); building started
from 1892-96.
Rayleigh Close: named after Trinity College fellow Lord Rayleigh (1842-1919).
Bentley Road: named after Trinity College fellow Richard Bentley (1662-1742); built from 1903.
Diamond Close: may be taken its name from the name of Newton's dog (see Gray and
Stubbings, p. 39).
Barrow Road: named after Trinity College fellow Isaac Barrow (1630-77); built from the 1930s.
Porson Road, Porson Court: named after Trinity College fellow Richard Porson (1759-1808);
built from the 1960s. Includes
Denis Wilson Court which was built in 1980 by the Royal British
Legion for ex-servicemen and women and named in honour of its national treasurer. It was later
taken over by a housing association and is now managed by Housing & Care 21, with 52 flats
(see
Trumpington Past & Present, p. 63, and Housing & Care 21).
Rutherford Road: named after Trinity College fellow Lord Rutherford (1871-1937); built in the
1970s.

Long Road: named Trumpington New Road on Baker's 1830 map; also named Mill Road on
the 1880s Ordnance Survey map, derived from the windmill on the north side of the road near
its west end; still named Mill Road in the early 1900s; renamed Long Road before 1910 ('Mill
Road' printed but 'Long Road' as an handwritten annotation on the Land Value map),
presumably to reflect it originally being a long straight road.

Hudson Close: small close off the road to Clay Farm house, built 2011. Frances Pemberton's
daughter from her first marriage, Patience, born 1844, married Dr Thomas Percy Hudson in
1870.

Clay Farm (north)
The housing development named after Clay Farm, the farm house and farmland to the south of
Long Road and east of Trumpington village. The overall development has been managed by
Countryside Properties, with specific housing areas by Countryside itself, Crest Nicholson and
Hill Residential, each of which was given a marketing name. Very confusingly, Countryside also
used 'Great Kneighton' as the overall marketing name for Clay Farm and Glebe Farm. This is an
historically inaccurate name: from the Medieval period to the early 1800s, 'Great Kneighton' was
used for part of Trumpington parish near the current Hills Road, some distance to the east of
Clay Farm.

Aura development, northern area, south of Long Road, both sides of Lime Avenue
(Countryside)
The Aura name is a marketing term adopted by Countryside. It has no historic significance. Two
phases of the overall development have used this name, an initial phase in the northern area off
Long Road and a subsequent phase to the south of the Halo development.
Lime Avenue: the northern part of the spine road through the Clay Farm development to
Hobson Square, where the road becomes Hobson Avenue. The road was constructed from 2011-
13. Homes were constructed to the west and east of the road from 2013, with the first homes in
Northrop Road occupied from mid 2014. The northern part of the road opened in mid 2014 to
give access to the first phases of the Aura development. This was followed by the remaining
length of the road from summer 2016, to give access to the Halo development, the southern part
of the Aura development, the Virido development and Trumpington Community College. The
road is lined with lime trees, planted by Countryside Properties as mature trees in 2012.
Seekings Close: Seekings Close is on the east side of Lime Avenue. The homes were
constructed from 2014 and occupied from early 2015. It is named after the Seekings family.
Charlie Seekings (1878-1949), a cowman and milkman lived at Whitelocks Yard, High Street.
He married Sarah Wilson in 1899 and had 12 children, some of whom remained in Trumpington
into the 1980s. One son, Charles Stanley Seekings (1913-1982), also a milkman, lived at Clay
Farm Cottages.
Plantation Avenue: Plantation Avenue is south of Long Road, between Lime Avenue/Seekings
Close and Hobson's Brook, with a footpath giving access from Long Road. The homes were
constructed from 2014 to 2016 and occupied from early 2015 to summer 2016. Clay Farm had a
number of linear plantations which have been retained as part of the new development, including
one planted in the early 1980s along the west side of Hobson's Brook and another running east-
west across the fields.
Whitelocks Drive: Whitelocks Drive is between Lime Avenue/Forbes Close and Hobson's
Brook, south of Plantation Avenue. The homes were constructed from 2015 to 2016, the
northern part of the road was occupied from late 2015 and the eastern and southern part from
spring 2016. The road is named after the Whitelocke family, also known as Whitelock. In 1657,
Sir James Whitelocke married Mary Pychard, who lived at Trumpington Hall. Sir Francis
Pemberton purchased the Hall in 1675, but Lady Whitelocke remained there until her death in
1715. In his will of 1724, George Whitelocke left a house on the west side of the High Street to
help relieve poverty in Trumpington. That house and grounds has been rebuilt 4 times in the last
200 years, now known as Whitlocks. (See
Background to the name Whitelocks Drive.)
Forbes Close: Forbes Close is on the east side of Lime Avenue, further away from Long Road
than Seekings Close. The apartments and homes were constructed from early 2015 and occupied
from early 2016, with an inner courtyard occupied from summer 2016. The close is named after
Charles Forbes (d. 1926) who was head gardener at Anstey Hall and prominent in starting the
Grantchester and Trumpington horticultural shows, c. 1880-90. Charles Forbes was born in 1850
in Birse, near Aboyne, Aberdeenshire. He built Aboyne Cottages at the eastern end of Alpha
Terrace, lived at 1 Aboyne Cottages from about 1908, and died in Trumpington in 1926. One of
the homes has an artwork on its upper wall commemorating the Cornwell family (who farmed
Clay Farm from 1931-73).
Northrop Road: Northrop Road is to the west of Lime Avenue, south of Long Road, with
footpath access from Long Road. Homes on the arm of the road near Lime Avenue were
occupied from mid 2014 and those on the two east-west arms from autumn 2014. The road is
named after the Northrop family who lived in the local area. Eli Northrop (c. 1864-1952) was an
agricultural labourer who married Elizabeth Stearn (c. 1861-1950) in 1888. Eli and Elizabeth
Northrop had four daughters, born in Trumpington between 1889 and 1901. Eli and Elizabeth
lived at Clay Farm Cottages, on the south side of Mill Road [Long Road], until 1924; in 1934
they came back to Trumpington and lived in Mill Cottages, on the north side of Long Road.
They were both buried in Trumpington. Includes
The Aura Building: 'Aura' was the marketing
name given to the development by Countryside Properties in 2013. The building is at the Lime
Avenue/Northrop Road junction, with the first residents moving in from autumn 2014. (See
Background to the name Northrop Road.)
Clay Farm Drive: Clay Farm Drive is between Lime Avenue and Willers Lane on the south side
of the Aura development. The homes on the north side of Clay Farm Drive were constructed
and occupied from 2014. The Aura development is part of the former Clay Farm. When the
parish of Trumpington was enclosed in 1809, the land to the east of the village on both sides of
Hobson's Brook and south of Long Road was awarded to F.C.J. Pemberton. Clay Farm house
was built near Long Road.
Willers Lane: The lane is aligned north-south from Long Road to Clay Farm Drive, with an
established hedgerow to its west. Homes were occupied from mid 2014. It is named after
Catherine Elizabeth (Kitty) Willers (1898-1977), the daughter of George Willers, nurseryman,
and Alice (Lawrence). Kitty was a bell-ringer extraordinaire, the captain of the church bell tower
and a respected village personality who lived in the High Street. (see an
Appreciation by the
bellringers.)

Halo development, south of Long Road, to the west of Lime Avenue (Crest Nicholson)
Halo is a marketing name adopted by the developers. It has no historic significance.
Lime Avenue: the continuation of the spine road from Long Road, see above. The apartments
on the west side of the road, south of the first arm of Clay Farm Drive, named
The Caldwell
Building
, were constructed from 2015 and occupied from early 2016. Further apartments to the
south, towards the established tree belt, named
Dovecot House, were constructed from 2016
and occupied from early 2017. It is assumed that these names were given to the buildings by the
original developers, Skanska, they do not have a local significance.
Clay Farm Drive: Clay Farm Drive branches off Lime Avenue, see above. It has a number of
arms within the Halo development. When completed, there will be a path linking Clay Farm
Drive with Wingate Way. The homes on the south side of the road and its arms to the south
were constructed from 2015 and occupied from early 2016. Homes to the west of this were
constructed from 2016 and occupied from late 2016.
Brook End Close: Brook End Close is to the north of Clay Farm Drive, south of Long Road
and west of an established hedgerow, with Willers Lane on the further side of the hedgerow. It is
named after Hobson's Brook, which flows through the Clay Farm development to the east of the
Close. Construction started in late 2016.
Nine Wells Road: Nine Wells Road is between Lime Avenue and the first of the north-south
branches of Clay Farm Drive. It is named after Nine Wells Local Nature Reserve, where there is
a series of springs which provide the source for Hobson's Brook, to the south east of Clay Farm.
It was constructed from early 2016, with homes occupied from summer 2016. It includes
Northcroft House, at the junction with Lime Avenue. It is assumed that the name Northcroft
House was given to the building by the original developers, Skanska, it does not have a local
significance.
Green Lane: Green Lane is at the southern end of the development, parallel with the old tree
belt and presumably named in recognition of that feature. The lane and homes were constructed
from late 2014. The apartment building is named
Windslow House, occupied from early 2017.
It is assumed that the name Windslow House was given to the building by the original
developers, Skanska, it does not have a local significance.

Aura development, southern area, west of Lime Avenue and Trumpington Community College
(Countryside)
The second phase of the Aura development.
Lime Avenue: the continuation of the northern spine road, past Trumpington Community
College towards Hobson Square, see above. Homes on the west side of the road were
constructed from early 2016.
Windmill Drive: the access road into this part of the overall development, to the west of Lime
Avenue, constructed from early 2016. There are two branches from Lime Avenue, linked on the
west side of the development. The homes were constructed from late 2016. A tower windmill
(corn mill) was built in 1831, on the north side of Long Road near the Long Road/Trumpington
Road junction. The presence of the mill is recognised in the name of the first house on the north
side of Long Road, Mill House. Long Road itself was named Mill Road from the late 1800s to
around 1910. There will be a public square at the southern junction with Lime Avenue, opposite
Trumpington Community College.
Woodpecker Way: Woodpecker Way is a north-south road within this part of the development,
parallel with Lime Avenue. The road and homes were constructed from 2016. Woodpeckers are
regularly seen and heard in the local shelter belts and woods.
Hawkey Road: Hawkey Road branches off Windmill Drive, to the west of Lime Avenue. The
road and homes were constructed from 2016. In the 1950-60s, the Trumpington Young Farmers
Club held Hawkey Suppers to celebrate the completion of the harvest. (See
Trumpington Young
Farmers'  Club, early 1960s.)
Trumpington Community College: the college is on the east side of Lime Avenue. It was
constructed from 2014 and opened at this location in September 2016.

Virido development, between Foster Road and the Busway (Hill Residential)
Virido is a marketing name with no historic significance.
Fowler Avenue: the access road from Lime Avenue into the Virido development, to the north
west of the Clay Farm Centre. Fowler Avenue forms the northern boundary of the Virido
development, under construction from early 2016. Homes were occupied from early 2017. The
road is named after Sir Ralph Howard Fowler (1889-1944), a mathematical physicist who lived
in Trumpington. He was appointed lecturer in mathematics at Trinity College in 1920, working
under the influence of Sir Ernest Rutherford, and was later Professor of Mathematical Physics.
He married Sir Ernest's daughter, Eileen Mary Rutherford, in 1921. In the 1930s, the family
lived at Cromwell House, Trumpington Road, where Sir Ralph died in 1944.
Harradine Street: the first turn to the left off Fowler Avenue. The road was constructed from
late 2015 and homes were occupied from early 2017. The road is named after the Harradines, a
long-established Trumpington family. Members of the family were the village blacksmiths from
the 1760s. At the enclosure of the parish in 1804, William, Martha and James Harradine were
awarded adjacent parcels of land to the east of Trumpington High Street (including the area now
crossed by Alpha Terrace and Wingate Way). With 15 acres, they became the largest lay
landowners after the Pemberton and Anstey families.
Pychard Road: the second turn to the left off Fowler Avenue. The road was constructed from
2016 and homes occupied from early 2017. The Pychard or Pitcher family owned one of the
manors in the parish of Trumpington from the 1400s. When Thomas Pychard died in 1655, he
devised his lands to his wife Mary, who lived at Trumpington Hall. By 1657, Mary Pychard had
married Sir James Whitelocke, a Cromwellian knight. In 1675, the heirs Thomas and John
Pitcher sold the reversion to Sir Francis Pemberton, but Lady Whitelocke remained at
Trumpington Hall until her death in 1715.
Drury Avenue: the third turn to the left off Fowler Avenue, forming the western and southern
boundary of the Virido development. The road was construction from 2016 and homes on the
southern arm were occupied from early 2017. The western arm will incorporate the line of the
long-established footpath to the rear of Foster Road. The road is named after John Drury, who
was a long-serving and inspirational teacher at Fawcett School. He will be particularly
remembered for his end of term productions, when the musicals were eagerly awaited by parents
and students alike. After his retirement in 1987, he established a small wholesale nursery growing
scented geraniums.
Dobson Way: an east-west link road within the development. The road was constructed from
2016 and homes were occupied from early 2017. The Dobsons were another long-established
Trumpington family, including stone masons and builders. At the enclosure of the parish in 1804,
William Dobson was awarded two small parcels of land, one in the village centre between the
High Street and Church Lane and another at the southern edge of the parish east of Shelford
Road.
Hartree Lane: an east-west lane within the development. The lane was construction from 2016
and homes occupied from spring 2017. The road is named after Eva Hartree and family. William
Hartree (c. 1870-1943) and Eva Rayner (c. 1873-1947) married in 1895 and the family lived in
Newton Road and Bentley Road, Trumpington, in the 1900s-1940s. William Hartree was a
university lecturer in engineering. Eva Hartree was active in public affairs. She served as
President of the National Council of Women, was a local Councillor and the first woman to be
Mayor of Cambridge, in 1924-25. One of their three children, Douglas Rayner Hartree (1897-
1958), was a theoretical physicist and mathematician, whose achievements included the
development of numerical analysis and the construction of a differential analyser made with
Meccano. He was closely involved in the development of computers in the 1940s.
The Virido development includes a
central square, bordered by Harradine Street, Hartree Lane,
Pychard Road and Dobson Way, constructed from 2016 and accessible from early 2017.

Hobson Square: the main square within Clay Farm, adjacent to the Busway, at the meeting
point of Lime Avenue and Hobson Avenue, midway between Long Road and Shelford Road.
The Square was constructed by Tamdown for Countryside from mid 2014 to mid 2015. Named
after Thomas Hobson (1544/45-1631), a Cambridge carrier who left money in his will towards
the maintenance of the conduit and brook which had been constructed c. 1610 and now bears
his name.
The Clay Farm Centre is on the north side of the square. Construction starting in
April 2015 and the Centre is due to open in summer 2017. The Centre was named in 2015, in
recognition of its location within the area of Clay Farm. There will also be a number of retail
units on two sides of the Square, with those on the south west side under construction from early
2016. Dobson Way links Hobson Square into the Virido area.

High Street: the main road through the village, from Long Road to the junction  with Hauxton
Road and Shelford Road. 'High Street' was in use by the 1841 census, but the road was also
called
London Road or Cambridge Road in other 19th century censuses and on Ordnance
Survey maps and Trumpington Road on the 1910 Land Value map. Also known as
Trumpington High Street (road sign at the junction with Hauxton Road and Shelford Road,
October 2012).
Gazeley Road: the first house in the road was built in 1891 and was originally named
'Goldieslie'; the second occupant of the house, Mrs J. Collin, grew up in Gazeley, Suffolk, and
the house was renamed 'Gazeley House'. The name had been adopted for the road by 1910
when the Land Value map was annotated with the name in pencil (see map above and also
Trumpington Past & Present, p. 108 and Gray and Stubbings, p. 137). There are 'private road'
signs at the junction with Trumpington High Street which have
Gazeley Lane, but Gazeley
Road is the correct name.
Wingate Way: named after William Warburton Wingate (d. 1943), who married Viola
Pemberton.

Winchmore Drive: the name may be associated with the Pemberton estate?

Lambourne Close and Gayton Close: originally called 'Trumpington Court', built in 1979 by
Melbourn Property Co. Ltd., Potton. The 'Close' names had no local connections: the company
chose them as they were attractive. The company's subsequent developments in the area were
named after trees and shrubs, including The Brambles.

Alpha Terrace: originally called Scott's Row after Nathan Scott who had a builder's yard next
to the Free Church; later named after 'Alpha Cottage', called
Alpha Row in the parish register
entries from 1886-90 and
Alpha Terrace in the 1891 census; also known as Alpha Road and
recorded as such on the 1903 Ordnance Survey map: the 1910 Land Value map was annotated
to read Alpha Terrace (see
Building Alpha Terrace and illustration 49 in Trumpington in Old
Picture Postcards
).
Scotsdowne Road: named after Scott's builders yard?
Sefton Close: derivation not known.
Southbrooke Close: derivation not known.
Beverley Way: assumed to be named after Beverley Cathedral; there is no record at the
Guildhall about the name, early 1970s (see
What's the Connection?).

Trumpington Mews: no specific derivation.

Church Lane: the road between the church and the High Street; Church Street in the 1841 and
later censuses.
Grantchester Road: the road between Trumpington village and Grantchester; Grantchester
Lane
in the 1881 and later censuses.
Campbell Lane: presumably named after Captain William Huntley Campbell (d. 1844), the first
husband of Frances Pemberton.

Maris Lane: named after the Maris family who built and lived in Maris House and farmed
Church Farm in the early-mid 19th century. 'Maris' was used as the first element in the name of
a number of the crops developed by the Plant Breeding Institute, whose entrance was on Maris
Lane from the 1950s. Other elements from these names, such as 'Piper', have been used for
street names on Trumpington Meadows (see
Background to the name Maris Lane).
Anstey Way: named after the Anstey family, owners of Anstey Hall from 1748-1838; named in
1946 (Anstey Hall was acquired by Dr Christopher Anstey in 1748 after he and his wife, Mary,
contested the will of her father, Anthony Thompson) (see
Names of the Estate Roads).
Paget Road, Paget Close: presumably named after Sir George Edward Paget (1809-92),
eminent physician involved with the development of Addenbrooke's Hospital and the Medical
School; named in 1946 [not his brother Sir James Paget, Paget's disease] (see
Names of the
Estate Roads).
Foster Road: probably named after the Foster family, owners of Anstey Hall, 1838-1941
(Ebenezer Foster was a Cambridge banker who purchased Anstey Hall in 1838); named in 1946
[not Sir Michael Foster, Professor of Physiology, Cambridge University, who lived in Great
Shelford]. (See
Names of the Estate Roads and Background to the name Foster Road.)
Byron Square: presumably named after Lord Byron (1788-1824), poet, Cambridge student who
swam at 'Byron's Pool'; named in 1946 (see
Names of the Estate Roads).

Monkswell: derivation not known.
Ely Place: built on allotment land in 1987 and assumed to be named after Ely Cathedral; there is
no record at the Guildhall about the name (see
What's the Connection?).
Salisbury Place: built on allotment land in 1987 and assumed to be named after Salisbury
Cathedral; there is no record at the Guildhall about the name (see
What's the Connection?).

Lingrey Court: derived from 'Lingey Fen', an area on the west bank of the River Cam near
Byron's Pool where ice-skating championships were held in the 1920s ('Lingrey' with an 'r' was
mistakenly used by the Council); a group of self-build houses, work started in July 1982 and the
first houses were occupied in April 1983.

Hauxton Road: the road between Trumpington village and the southern boundary of the parish
at Hauxton Mill; shown as 'Turnpike Road' on the 1804 inclosure map.
Allen Court: named after Thomas Allen, charity benefactor in the 17th century; built 1964.
Freshfields: derivation not known.

Trumpington Meadows
The housing development west of Hauxton Road and south of the parish church and village
centre, named by its developers in the mid-2000s. The development project is being led by
Grosvenor and homes are being constructed by Barratt Homes. There will eventually be 1200
homes, a primary school, country park and local play areas and a local centre. The first phase of
development was in the northern part of the site, near the village centre. Subsequent phases are
extending around Trumpington Meadows Primary School and the Park & Ride site to the
Addenbrooke's Road/Hauxton Road junction. When the parish was enclosed in 1804-09, the
land called 'Hauxton Field' was awarded to Christopher Anstey of nearby Anstey Hall and was
later known as Anstey Hall Farm. It was taken over by the Plant Breeding Institute in 1950 and
became a world-famous plant breeding centre
(see History of the Plant Breeding Institute). The
name 'Trumpington Meadows' has no historic significance.

Old Mills Road: the perimeter road on the north east side of the development, with Waitrose
and Anstey Hall to its north; constructed from 2012, with the first homes occupied in 2013. A
footpath was constructed from the Waitrose Store to Old Mills Road in autumn 2016. 'Old Mills
Field' was a field name for an area near the river to the north of the old railway line, used as a
name when the land was farmed and during the Plant Breeding Institute period.
Banner Road: a north-south road between Consort Avenue and Old Mills Road in the northern
part of the development; constructed from 2012, with the first homes occupied in 2013. 'Banner'
was a variety of winter beans bred in Trumpington by the Plant Breeding Institute.
Rialto Close: an east-west road between Banner Road and Old Mills Road in the northern part
of the development; constructed from 2012, with the first homes occupied from mid 2013.
'Rialto' winter wheat was bred in Trumpington by the Plant Breeding Institute.
Consort Avenue: the east-west spine road in the northern part of the development, from
Hauxton Road to the junction of One Tree Road and Osprey Drive; constructed from 2012, with
homes occupied from 2013. 'Consort' was an important variety of winter wheat bred in
Trumpington. It was initiated by the Plant Breeding Institute and developed by Plant Breeding
International Cambridge (see
History of the Plant Breeding Institute). Includes Anstey View,
facing the play area and towards the grounds of Anstey Hall and the Hall itself. The Anstey Hall
Play Area was officially opened in February 2017. (See
Trumpington Meadows street names:
Piper, Otter, Consort.)
Spring Drive: a road in the northern part of the development, from Consort Avenue to Hauxton
Road; one of the first roads to be constructed at Trumpington Meadows starting in 2012, with
houses occupied from August 2012. 'Spring Field' was a field name for an area with a spring
near the river to the south of the old railway line. This was used as a name when the land was
farmed and during the Plant Breeding Institute period.
Forty Acre Road: a road linking Consort Avenue and Spring Drive in the northern part of the
development; constructed from 2012, with homes occupied from 2013. 'Forty Acres' was a field
name for an area west of Hauxton Road and south of the M11, used as a name during the Plant
Breeding Institute period.
Kestrel Rise: a road to the northwest of the Park & Ride site and north of the primary school,
linking the path from the Park & Ride to Osprey Drive; constructed from 2013, with homes
occupied from 2014. 'Maris Kestrel' is a marrow stem kale, bred in Trumpington by the Plant
Breeding Institute. The Trumpington Meadows Play Area was officially opened in February
2017.
Piper Road: a road off Consort Avenue at the northernmost end of the development, with the
grounds of Anstey Hall to the east and views to the tower of the parish church
, forming an
inverted V with One Tree Road. The road was constructed from 2014, with homes occupied
from autumn 2014. ‘Maris Piper’ is a highly successful potato variety bred in Trumpington by
the Plant Breeding Institute, first released in 1966 and still in production (see the
History of the
Plant Breeding Institute). When the area was excavated in 2011, the archaeological team found
evidence of the early Saxon settlement to the west of Piper Road, including the bed burial and
the gold and garnet
Trumpington cross. (See Trumpington Meadows street names: Piper, Otter,
Consort.)
One Tree Road: the road at the northernmost part of the development, the northern
continuation of Osprey Drive with views to the parish church, forming an inverted V with Piper
Road. The road was constructed from 2014 with homes occupied from autumn 2014.
Construction work on the west side of the road continued into 2015. ‘One Tree Field’ was a
field name for this area when the land was farmed and during the Plant Breeding Institute period.
Proctor Drive: the east-west continuation of Old Mills Road, constructed from 2013, with
homes occupied from 2014. ‘Proctor’ was a spring barley with good malting quality bred by the
Plant Breeding Institute, the use of which resulted in a tripling of barley production between the
1950s and 1960s (see the
History of the Plant Breeding Institute).
Huntsman Road: between Consort Avenue and Osprey Drive to the west of the John Lewis
building, constructed from 2013, with the first homes occupied in mid 2014. ‘Maris Huntsman’
was a wheat variety bred by the Plant Breeding Institute that gave a big stimulus to production.
The Trumpington Meadows Play Area was officially opened in February 2017.
Osprey Drive: the main north-south road, running from the junction of Consort Avenue and
One Tree Road to Trumpington Meadows Primary School, the local centre and beyond. The
northern part of the road was constructed from 2013, with the first homes on the east side of the
road occupied in 2014 and those on the west side of the road from late 2015 into 2016. It was
extended to the west and south of the primary school from 2016. ‘Maris Osprey’ was a winter
oat variety bred by the Plant Breeding Institute. A local centre will be constructed in front of the
primary school.
Trumpington Meadows Primary School: the school is at the junction of Osprey Drive and
Kestrel Rise. Construction started in 2012 and the school opened in September 2013.
Bead Road: Bead Road is the extension of One Tree Road on the north west side of the
development, constructed from early 2015, with homes occupied from mid 2015. Together with
Avalon Way, it provides the northern access path to the Country Park. ‘Maris Bead’ is a spring
bean variety bred by the Plant Breeding Institute.
Avalon Way: Avalon Way is on the north west side of the development, continuing west from
Proctor Drive and Bead Road, with a western arm overlooking the Country Park. The road was
constructed from mid 2015 and homes occupied from autumn 2015. ‘Avalon’ was the first of
many modern wheat varieties for bread making bred by the Plant Breeding Institute.
Hereward Road: Hereward Road is parallel with One Tree Road on the west side of the
development, linking Avalon Way and Charger Road, under construction in 2015, with homes
occupied from late 2015. ‘Hereward’ is one of the best bread making wheat varieties, bred by
the Plant Breeding Institute and grown by farmers since the early 1990s.
Charger Road: Charger Road is the extension of Consort Avenue on the north west side of the
development. An east-west arm was constructed from mid 2015, with homes occupied from late
2015, and a north-south arm to Renard Way constructed in 2016 and occupied from autumn
2016. It will provide one of the access paths to the Country Park. ‘Charger’ is a winter wheat
initiated by the Plant Breeding Institute, developed by Plant Breeding International Cambridge,
and released in 1992.
Otter Close: Otter Close is on the western edge of the development, off Hereward Road, with
homes constructed from autumn 2015 into 2016. ‘Maris Otter’ is a winter variety of malting
barley bred by the Plant Breeding Institute, now used mainly be artisan brewers. It was the 50th
harvest of the variety in 2015. (See
Trumpington Meadows street names: Piper, Otter, Consort.)
Carmine Road: Carmine Road is off Charger Road, parallel with Osprey Drive on the west side
of the development, under construction in late 2015, occupied from early 2016. 'Carmine' is a
grain maize produced by the Plant Breeding Institute in 1992.
Argent Road: Argent Road is off Osprey Drive on the west side of the development, under
construction from late 2015, with homes occupied from spring 2016. 'Argent' is a winter wheat
produced by the Plant Breeding Institute in 1977.
Berwick Place: Berwick Place is off Argent Road, parallel with Osprey Drive on the west side of
the development. It was constructed from early 2016, with homes occupied from autumn 2016.
'Berwick' is a spring barley produced by Plant Breeding International in 2001.
Renard Way: Renard Way is off Argent Road, on the west side of the development, with a
north-south and east-west arm, the latter looking onto a green corridor between the country park
and primary school. The homes and apartments were constructed from early 2016 and occupied
from autumn 2016. 'Renard' is a winter wheat produced by the Plant Breeding Institute in 1983.
Falcon Road: Falcon Road links Osprey Drive and Renard Way to the south of the local centre,
with a side arm parallel with these roads. The road and homes were constructed from 2016 and
the homes occupied from early 2017. 'Falcon' is a winter barley produced by Plant Breeding
International Cambridge in 1996.
Kinsman Way: Kinsman Way is to the south of Falcon Road, between Renard Way and Osprey
Drive. The road and homes were constructed from late 2016. 'Kinsman' is a winter wheat
produced by the Plant Breeding Institute in 1975.
Mardler Close: Mardler Close branches off from Osprey Drive, south of the local centre. The
road and homes were constructed in 2017. 'Mardler' is a winter wheat produced by the Plant
Breeding Institute in 1977.

Trumpington Meadows Country Park and Nature Reserve: part of the Trumpington
Meadows development, this extensive park extends from Grantchester Road to Hauxton Mill, to
the east of the River Cam. It has been developed and managed by the Wildlife Trust, accessible
from 2015 and officially opened in 2016. The Wildlife Trust has an office at the northern end of
the park, constructed in late 2016 - early 2017, to open in spring 2017.

Shelford Road: the road between Trumpington village and Cambridge Road, Great Shelford;
shown as 'Turnpike Road' on the 1804 inclosure map; named 'Shelford Road' in the 1911 census.
The Brambles: built in the 1980s by Melbourn Property Co. Ltd., Potton, the same developers
as Lambourne Close and Gayton Close. Their second round of developments were named after
trees.
Cranleigh Close and Craven Close: built by Willett Homes in 1968-69, the area between
Hauxton Road and Shelford Road was previously an open space (allotments owned by the
church in the 19th and early 20th century).

Bishop's Road, Bishop's Court: built on church glebe land.
Lantree Crescent: built in gardens to the rear of Bishop's Road and named after the developers,
Lantree Limited, 1963-67 (see Land Registry notice in
London Gazette, April 1967).

Exeter Close: assumed to be named after Exeter Cathedral; there is no record at the Guildhall
about the name; built 1962 to early 1970s. (See
What's the Connection?).

Trumpington Place: a small development by Carlton Homes, built by Gusto Construction in
2013, with homes occupied in 2013-14. Located to the rear of 102-08 Shelford Road, with
access from Addenbrooke's Road.

Showground Road and Showground Close: the road is on the line of a farm track from
Shelford Road to the fields to the rear which were used as the site for the Royal Agricultural
Show in 1951, 1960 and 1961, with the fields becoming known as the 'Showground' area of
Clay Farm. Showground Road and Showground Close were named in 2012 when a group of
apartments were built to the rear of 99-105 Shelford Road, adjacent to Addenbrooke's Road.

Merryvale: derivation not known.
Reed Close: named after the local builder, David Reed. Built in 1984 after a long argument: the
original plan had been for 12 houses, later reduced to 6 houses on a smaller footprint, leaving
land to left and right for separate development.

Clay Farm (south), Showground
The housing development named after Clay Farm, the farmland to the south of Long Road and
east of the village, the site of the Royal Show in the 1950s and 1960s. The overall development
has been managed by Countryside Properties, with specific housing areas by Countryside itself,
Skanska, Bovis and CALA Homes.

Abode development, east of Shelford Road (Countryside)
Abode is a marketing term adopted by Countryside. It has no historic significance. The
development has been built in a number of phases, along Addenbrooke's Road and Hobson
Avenue.
Addenbrooke's Road: the first phase of the Adobe development is either side of Addenbrooke's
Road, from its junction with Shelford Road to the roundabout and a short distance towards
Addenbrooke's Hospital. Homes to the left (north) of Addenbrooke's Road and at the
roundabout - including the terrace facing the roundabout - were constructed from 2012-14 and
occupied from 2013; those to the right (south) were constructed from 2013-15 and occupied
from late 2014. Includes The Williams Building, The Cherry Building, The Sayle Building and
The Forbes Building (see separate descriptions of Addenbrooke's Road and the buildings).
Royal Way: the area of Clay Farm immediately to the east of Shelford Road became known as
the Showground after being used by the Royal Show in 1951, 1960 and 1961. Annual shows
were organised by the Royal Agricultural Society from 1839 to 2009. In the 1950s, these shows
were major celebrations of farming, with large-scale structures being erected and high visitor
numbers. The local shows were supported by the Pemberton family. Royal Way is to the west
of Hobson Road, between Hobson Road and an old plantation and the railway cutting now used
by the Busway, with homes constructed from 2012-15 and the first homes occupied in 2013.
Includes a series of linking green lanes and the
Southwell Building at the junction with Hobson
Road, constructed from 2014-15 and occupied from 2015: Sir Richard Vynne Southwell (1888-
1970) was a mechanical and aeronautical engineer, who was married to Isabella Wilhelmina,
daughter of William Warburton Wingate (he later changed his name to William Warburton
Pemberton). The Southwells lived in Trumpington.
Glanville Road: the road linking Chaplen Street and Royal Way, to the rear of Shelford Road,
with a link to Showground Close and Shelford Road. Homes constructed from 2012-14 and
occupied from 2013. Glanville Llewelyn Williams (1911-1997), was a campaigner and reformer
of the justice system, married to Lorna Margaret Lawfield. The family lived in Gazeley Road,
Trumpington.
Chaplen Street: the first road to the left off Hobson Road, between Addenbrooke's Road and
Royal Way, with homes constructed in 2012-13 and occupied from mid 2013. Thomas Chaplin
or Chaplen was Lord of the Manor of Trumpington in the early 1600s. In 1610, he signed a
tripartite agreement with the town and the university, giving them rights over Hobson's Brook
which provided a water supply into Cambridge, running from Nine Wells through Trumpington
to Hobson's Conduit. (See
Background to the name Chaplen Street.)
Hobson Avenue: Thomas Hobson (1544/45-1631) was a Cambridge carrier who left money in
his will towards the maintenance of the conduit and brook which had been constructed c. 1610
and now bears his name. Hobson Avenue is the first part of the spine road through Clay Farm,
from the Addenbrooke's Road roundabout towards the local centre (Hobson Square), where it
becomes Lime Avenue. The first homes on the right hand side of Hobson Avenue as far as
Cornwell Road were constructed and occupied in 2013. Homes beyond Cornwell Road and on
the left hand side of the road were constructed from 2015 and occupied from summer 2016. The
first part of the road opened in 2013, with the main length towards the Busway opening in
autumn 2016, to enable access to the rest of the Abode development and the Cala development.

(See
Background to the name Hobson Avenue, Hobson Road and Hobson Square.)
Hobson Road: the first turning to the left off Hobson Avenue, linking with Chaplen Street and
Royal Way. It extends to the right, parallel with Hobson Avenue. Homes and apartments on
Hobson Road were constructed from late 2015 and occupied from late 2016. Definition as
above. (See
Background to the name Hobson Avenue, Hobson Road and Hobson Square.)
Trumpington Park Primary School, Hobson Avenue, is being constructed in the northern part
of the Abode development. The plans were approved in September 2016, construction started in
autumn 2016 and the school is due to open in September 2017.
Beyer Road: a turning off the west side of Hobson Avenue, parallel with the Community
Gardens. The road and homes were constructed from early 2017. Ralph Beyer (1921-2008),
was German born letter-cutter and sculptor. At the age of 16, he trained under Eric Gill. He later
worked as a letter cutter in Cambridge, living in Foster Road, 1950-52. In 1953, he moved to
London and created acclaimed lettering work and sculpted panels (Tablets of the Word) for the
interior of the new Coventry Cathedral.
Stallan Close: a turning on the east side of Hobson Avenue, beyond the primary school. The
road and homes were constructed from early 2017. There were five generations of the Stallan
family in Trumpington, starting with James Stallan [James Stallion] (1787-1875) and his wife  
Martha. Arthur Stallan (1871-1944) took over the Nursery in Trumpington Road from George
Willers senior, and lived there with his wife Mary Annie Willers and then in Shelford Road.
The Williams Building (Addenbrooke's Road): named after Glanville Llewelyn Williams (1911-
1997), a campaigner and reformer of the justice system, married to Lorna Margaret Lawfield.
The family lived in Gazeley Road, Trumpington. The building is to left of the Addenbrooke's
Road roundabout when travelling from Shelford Road and was constructed from 2013-14 and
occupied from late 2014.
The Cherry Building (Addenbrooke's Road): named after Alan Cherry, the former Chairman of
Countryside Properties, who died in 2010. He was a passionate supporter of sustainable
communities and high quality design. The building is at the Addenbrooke's Road roundabout,
straight ahead when coming from Shelford Road, to the right of the Hobson Avenue junction. It
was constructed from 2012-13 and occupied in 2013.
The Sayle Building (Addenbrooke's Road): named after Robert Sayle (1816-83), a draper and
philanthropist who built Leighton House on the east side of Trumpington Road in the late 1860s
and lived there with his wife and children (now the Perse Preparatory School). The Robert Sayle
store in Cambridge became part of the John Lewis group in 1940. The building is on
Addenbrooke's Road, to the right after the roundabout, and was constructed from 2013-15 and
occupied from 2015.
The Forbes Building (Addenbrooke's Road): named after Charles Forbes (d. 1926) who was
head gardener at Anstey Hall and prominent in starting the Grantchester and Trumpington
horticultural shows, c. 1880-90. Charles Forbes was born in 1850 in Birse, near Aboyne,
Aberdeenshire. He built Aboyne Cottages at the eastern end of Alpha Terrace, lived at 1 Aboyne
Cottages from about 1908, and died in Trumpington in 1926. The building is on Addenbrooke's
Road, to the right after the roundabout. It was constructed in 2013-14 and occupied from late
2014.
Austin Drive: a road off Addenbrooke's Road, to the right after the roundabout when travelling
from Shelford Road. The homes were constructed from 2013-15 and the first homes occupied
from late 2014. It was named after William Austin who was one of the leading members of local
society in 17th century Trumpington, including being a churchwarden in 1666. When he died in
1679, he left income in his will to help establish a school in the village and to support local
charities. His gift came into effect in 1708 when 11 children were identified to be taught by a
school dame.
Cornwell Road: the first turn to the right off Hobson Avenue. Homes in the Abode
development on the right hand side of the first part of the road were constructed in 2012-13 and
occupied from 2013. Homes on the left hand side were constructed from late 2015. See below
for derivation of name.
Fawcett Road: the road linking Cornwell Road and Whittle Avenue, with homes on the north
(left) side of the road constructed from 2016. See below for derivation of name.
Whittle Avenue: a road to the right off Hobson Avenue, linking Hobson Avenue and
Addenbrooke's Road. The apartments on the right hand side of the road after the junction with
Hobson Avenue were constructed from 2016. See below for derivation of name.
Ellis Road: the first road to the right off Cornwell Road. Homes in the Abode development on
the first part of the road were constructed and occupied in 2013. See below for derivation of
name.

Paragon development, east of Addenbrooke's Road (Bovis)
Paragon is a marketing term adopted by Bovis, with no historic significance.
Cornwell Road: the road is the first turn to the right off Hobson Avenue, continuing from the
Abode development into the Paragon development and forming the western and northern sides
of the central play area. The homes were constructed in 2012-14 and occupied from 2013. The
road was named after the Cornwell family, a progressive local farming family. Robert Ephraim
Cornwell and his son Reginald John Cornwell took over the tenancy of Clay Farm in 1931; Reg
Cornwell continued at Clay Farm after his father died in 1932, until his own death in 1973. (See
Background to the name Cornwell Road.)
Fawcett Road: the road linking Cornwell Road and Whittle Avenue, with homes on the south
side of the road constructed from 2013 and occupied from 2013. It was named after Henry
Fawcett (1833-84), respected economist and politician, married to the suffrage leader Millicent
Garrett (1847-1929). The family lived at 18 Brookside, Cambridge, from 1874-84. Henry
Fawcett died in 1884 and was buried in Trumpington Churchyard. There are memorials to
Henry Fawcett in Trumpington Church and Victoria Embankment Gardens, London, a memorial
to Henry and Millicent Fawcett in Westminster Abbey and Fawcett School is named in his
memory.
Ellis Road: the first road to the right off Cornwell Road, continuing to run parallel with
Addenbrooke's Road along the boundary of the development to Whittle Avenue. Homes were
constructed from 2013-15 and occupied from 2013. Named after Robert Leslie Ellis (1817-59),
a mathematician and classical scholar, who lived at Anstey Hall from 1853 until his death in
1859. He was buried in Trumpington churchyard.
Whittington Road: a road linking Cornwell Road, Ellis Road and Whittle Avenue in the
southern part of the development, from the southern corner of the central play area. Homes
were constructed from 2014-15 and occupied from late 2014. It was named after Professor
Harry Whittington (1916-2010), a palaeontologist who was a world expert on trilobite fossils, the
Woodwardian Professor of Geology at Cambridge from 1966-83 (Sedgwick Museum). He lived
in Rutherford Road. (See
Background to the name Whittington Road.)
Whittle Avenue: the main road through the Paragon development, linking Hobson Avenue and
Addenbrooke's Road, and forming the eastern side of the central play area. Homes on the west
side of the road were constructed from 2013-15 and occupied from 2013; homes on the east side
of the road were constructed from 2015 and occupied from 2016. Whittle Avenue was named
after Sir Frank Whittle (1907-96), aeronautical engineer and inventor of the jet engine, who lived
in Trumpington while he was a student at Cambridge University in the 1930s.
Southwell Drive: the perimeter road on the south and east side of the development, from a right
hand turn off Whittle Avenue at its junction with Addenbrooke's Road, to Hobson Avenue. The
eastern arm of the road is parallel with Hobson's Brook. Homes on the southern arm were
constructed in 2015 and occupied from late 2015; homes on the eastern arm overlooking
Hobson's Brook were constructed from late 2015 and occupied from early 2016. The road is
named after Sir Richard Vynne Southwell (1888–1970), a mechanical and aeronautical engineer
who developed relaxation methods for solving partial differential equations. In 1918, he married
Isabella Wilhelmina Warburton Wingate (1896-1985), the step-daughter of Viola Patience
Campbell Pemberton. The Southwell family lived at Cromwell House, Trumpington Road, and
later at The Old House, Church Lane. Sir Richard was a Fellow at Trinity College in 1914 and
from 1925-29, Professor of Engineering Science at Oxford University from 1929, and Rector of
Imperial College, London, from 1942-48. He retired to Trumpington in 1948.
Chalkwells Way: a road linking Whittle Avenue to Southwell Drive, with an arm going towards
Baker Lane. The road and homes were constructed from late 2015, with homes occupied from
early 2016. Chalkwells is an alternative name for Nine Wells. The Nine Wells Local Nature
Reserve is to the south east of Clay Farm, with a series of springs which provide the source for
Hobson's Brook.
Baker Lane: a road to the east of Whittle Avenue towards Southwell Drive, with a pedestrian
link to Chalkwells Way. The road and homes were constructed from late 2015, with homes
occupied from spring 2016. There is a green corridor linking the central play area to Hobson's
Brook, where there will be a bridge into Hobson's Park. The road is named after John Fleetwood
Baker, Baron Baker of Windrush (1901–1985), a civil engineer who invented the Morrison
Shelter and ways of using less metal while retaining strength. John Baker married Fiona Mary
MacAlister Walker (1903-79) in 1928. He was Professor of Mechanical Sciences and Head of
the Cambridge University's Department of Engineering from 1943-68. He and his wife lived in
Trumpington from 1945, at Bentley Road, Long Road and Crossways Gardens. He was active in
the local church and invented a device for removing cobwebs off higher areas in the church. (See
Trumpington Personalities, Lord Baker.)
Todd Street: a road linking Whittle Avenue to Southwell Drive. The road and homes were
constructed from summer 2016 and the homes occupied from early 2017. The road is named
after Alexander Robertus Todd, Lord Todd of Trumpington (1907-97), an eminent organic
chemist. He married Alison Sarah Dale in 1937, the daughter of Sir Henry Dale, Nobel Laureate.
He was Chair of Chemistry at the University of Cambridge from 1944-71 and Master of Christ's
College from 1963-78. He received the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1957 for research on the
structure and synthesis of nucleotides, nucleosides and nucleotide coenzymes. Alexander Todd
was knighted in 1954 and made a life peer in 1962, when he chose Trumpington as his territorial
designation, since he lived in the parish. He was awarded the Order of Merit in 1977. The family
were living at 32 Barrow Road from the 1940s to the 1960s.
Allbutt Way: a road linking Whittle Avenue to Southwell Drive, under construction from
summer 2016. The road is named after Sir Thomas Clifford Allbutt (1836-1925), an eminent
physician. He married Susan England (1841-1936) in 1869. His initial medical career was in
Leeds, when he invented the short-stemmed clinical thermometer. He was appointed Regius
Chair of Physic at the University of Cambridge in 1892 and elected Physician to Addenbrooke's
Hospital in 1900. He edited the multi-volume System of Medicine, published 1896-99. The
family lived at St Rhadegund’s, 5 Chaucer Road from 1895. Sir Clifford died at his home on 22
February 1925 and was buried in Trumpington extension churchyard.

CALA development, both sides of Hobson Avenue near the Busway crossing (CALA Homes)
CALA is the name of the company responsible for this part of the development, with no historic
significance.
Hobson Avenue: construction work on the CALA development started in early 2016, with
homes west and east of Hobson Avenue, south of the Busway crossing, between the shelter belt
and Hobson's
Brook. See above for Hobson Avenue definition.
Pinnington Close: the road within the development, both sides of Hobson Avenue and parallel
with Hobson's Brook. Pinnington Close was constructed from 2016. Judith Pinnington (d. 2006)
was a City Councillor for Trumpington from 2002 to 2004. Judith was a very conscientious and
caring person, who was one of the first transgender councillors in Cambridge.

The Cala homes form the northern boundary of a
Community Garden, to be constructed
between the Busway and Hobson's Brook, crossed by Hobson Avenue.

Seven Acres development, south and west of Addenbrooke's Road (Skanska)
The name Seven Acres is assumed to reflect the size of the development area. The term was
adopted by Skanska as the marketing name.
Kingfisher Gardens: the road into the development off Addenbrooke's Road. This was part of
the first phase, with homes constructed in 2012-13 and occupied from late 2012. Named after
local birds, including regular sightings on nearby Hobson's Brook. Includes
Whittle House:
constructed in 2012-13 and occupied in 2013, named after Sir Frank Whittle (1907-96),
aeronautical engineer and inventor of the jet engine, who lived in Trumpington while he was a
student at Cambridge University in the 1930s. (See
Background to bird names on Seven Acres.)
Skylark Road: at the western end of the development, off Kingfisher Gardens. Homes were
constructed in 2012-13 and occupied from 2013. The road is named after local birds. (See
Background to bird names on Seven Acres.)
Partridge Close: located off Skylark Road between Kingfisher Gardens and Addenbrooke's
Road. Homes were constructed in 2012-13 and occupied from 2013-14. The close is named
after local birds. Includes
Gresham House: named after Professor Austin Gresham (1924-
2009), Professor of Morbid Anatomy and Histopathology, Cambridge University, and Home
Office pathologist, whose book A Colour Atlas of Forensic Pathology inspired the Britart
movement and who lived in Trumpington. (See
Background to bird names on Seven Acres.)
Lapwing Avenue: the road going east from Kingfisher Gardens, parallel with Addenbrooke's
Road. The first homes were constructed from 2012 and work continued to 2014, with the homes
occupied from mid 2014. Also named after local birds. Includes
Raeburn House: overlooking
Hobson's Brook and the green corridor, constructed in 2013-14 and occupied from late 2014.
This was named after Mary Raeburn (1914-93), a Trumpington resident and respected
watercolour artist, who loved to paint local wild flowers. (See
Background to bird names on
Seven Acres.)

Hobson's Park: the main park in the Clay Farm development, between Hobson's Brook and the
railway line, crossed by Addenbrooke's Road and the Busway spur from Trumpington to the
Cambridge Biomedical Campus. The park was named by the City Council in summer 2016, in
honour of Thomas Hobson (see Hobson Avenue definition, above). It main part of the park is
due to officially open in 2017-18. Farmed as part of Clay Farm until 2008, it was developed by
Countryside Properties on behalf of the City Council.


Glebe Farm
The housing development to the south of Trumpington village, named after Glebe Farm
(formerly Vicarage Farm), the farmland awarded to the Church at the inclosure of the parish in
1804-09. The farmland was crossed by a north-south hedge and path which was a continuation
of the path from Hauxton Road to Bishop's Road. This feature was retained and provided a
natural division between the first and second phases of development (west and east of the
hedgerow). The area has been developed by Countryside Properties, with the marketing name
'Novo'. Countryside also used the marketing name 'Great Kneighton' for the combination of the
Clay Farm and Glebe Farm developments. Construction work started in 2010, the first residents
moved in during October 2012 and work on the third phase should be completed in 2017. The
development includes just over 300 homes, three play areas, a green space and allotments.

Glebe Farm Drive: the main road within the western part of the development from the junction
with Addenbrooke's Road. The road was constructed from early 2012 to autumn 2014 and the
first homes were occupied in late 2012. During the first phase of house construction, the
marketing suite was located on the left near the beginning of the road, where numbers 5-7 were
built in 2015. The farmland was allocated to the church when Trumpington was enclosed in
1804-09 and later called Glebe Farm, the name by which it was known when it was removed
from the Green Belt in 2006. Includes
Hackett House at the junction with Addenbrooke's Road:
John Hacket (1592-1670) was Vicar of Trumpington from 1620 to 1622, later the Bishop of
Coventry and Lichfield, from 1661 to 1670. Also includes
Carter House overlooking the central
play area: named after the Carter family, who lived locally. Thomas Herbert (Bert) Carter (1893-
1979) founded the garage and petrol station on Shelford Road and ran it from the early 1930s to
the late 1950s (now the Buckingham & Stanley garage). He married Edna May Baxter in York in
1928. Bert and Edna May Carter lived at 156 Shelford Road from the 1930s. (See
Background
to the name Glebe Farm Drive.)
Tebbit Street: the turning to the right off Glebe Farm Drive, alongside the central play area. The
homes were constructed in 2012 and occupied from late 2012. Named after the Tebbit family,
who lived locally. Frank Oswald Tebbit (1878-1957) married Alice Elizabeth Fletcher (c. 1882-
1962) in 1904. Frank Oswald and Alice Elizabeth Tebbit lived at 116 Shelford Road by the early
1930s and Frank Oswald Tebbit was the dairy farmer at Glebe Farm for over 40 years from the
early 1930s to 1957.
Martin Road: the first turn to the left off Glebe Farm Drive. The homes were constructed in
2012 and occupied from late 2012. Named after the Martin family, who were the last resident
farming family of Glebe Farm, taking over from the Tebbit family. George Martin (1917-96) and
Brenda Martin farmed here from 1957-58 to the 1970s. This was a dairy farm until the mid
1970s, then an arable farm.
Corn Lane: the second turn to the left off Glebe Farm Drive. The homes were constructed from
2012 and occupied from 2012-13. Glebe Farm was a dairy farm until the 1970s and then
converted into an arable farm, with crops including cereals.
Cedar Road: the third turn to the left off Glebe Farm Drive. The homes were constructed from
2012 and occupied from 2013. There was a prominent cedar tree in the garden of 110 Shelford
Road; the house was demolished and the tree removed in 2007 when Addenbrooke's Road was
constructed.
Beech Drive: the fourth turn to the left off Glebe Farm Drive, including homes facing Hauxton
Road. The homes were constructed from 2012-14 and occupied from 2013-14. There used to be
a specimen beech tree on Glebe Farm. Includes
Dakins House (overlooking the junction of
Addenbrooke's Road and Hauxton Road),
Maddox House and Fletcher House (overlooking
Addenbrooke's Road): William Dakins (1568/9-1607) was a biblical scholar and the Vicar of
Trumpington, c. 1603-05; David Maddox (1922-97) was the Vicar of Trumpington from 1956-
90; Charles Fletcher was the owner of the Reliance garage and petrol station on Shelford Road in
the 1960s (now the Buckingham & Stanley garage). (See
Background to the name Maddox
House, Beech Drive.)
Elm Road: the fifth turn to the left off Glebe Farm Drive, towards Hauxton Road. The homes
were constructed from 2012 and occupied from 2013. There used to be a specimen elm tree on
Glebe Farm.
Barn Road: the sixth turn to the left off Glebe Farm Drive, towards Hauxton Road. The homes
were constructed from 2012-13 and occupied from 2014. There was a 'traditional' barn in the
farm buildings when Glebe Farm was a dairy unit.
Harness Close: the seventh turn to the left off Glebe Farm Drive, including homes facing
Hauxton Road. The homes were constructed from 2013 and occupied from 2014. 'Harness' was
the name of a Clydesdale Horse used on Glebe Farm.
Spinney Road: the road to the right off Glebe Farm Road along the east and north sides of the
western play area. The homes were constructed from 2012-14 and occupied from 2012-14.
There were a number of small woods (spinneys) in the farms around Trumpington.
Vicarage Way: the continuation of Glebe Farm Drive to the eastern area of the development,
from the north side of the central play area. The homes were constructed from 2014 and
occupied from autumn 2014. Vicarage Farm was the earlier name for the farm. Includes
Pitman
House
(at the junction with Vicarage Way): the Pitman family ran a grocery store at 150
Shelford Road from the 1930s to the 1970s (C.J. Pitman & Son in the 1970s).
Harvest Road: the first turning to the right off Glebe Farm Drive, on the east part of the
development (Phase II of housing construction), including the road on the east side of the central
play area (which is lined by a hedgerow that has been retained from the earlier farmland), and
the continuation of Vicarage Way along the north east side of the development. The homes were
constructed from 2014 and the first homes were occupied from autumn 2014. Harvest Road
commemorates the many harvests gathered from the farm. Includes
Palmer House (on the right
hand side at the access off Addenbrooke's Road): William Palmer (1538/9-1605) was Vicar of
Trumpington, c. 1564-67; John Palmer (d. 1607), was Vicar of Trumpington, c. 1596-99, and
Dean of Peterborough from 1597-1607.
St Michael Street: the continuation of Harvest Road at the eastern end of the development,
including the road fronting Addenbrooke's Road. The homes were constructed from 2014 and
occupied from early 2015. St Michael is one of the two saints associated with Trumpington
Church. Includes
Cosin House (at the far side of the eastern play area): Edmund Cosin
(1510/11-1574?) was a Cambridge college head, thought to have been Vicar of Trumpington,
1553.
Overhill Close: branching off St Michael Street, Overhill Close is the road at the eastern end of
Glebe Farm, the third phase of the development. The road and homes were constructed from
early 2016. There are allotments either side of the Close, to the rear of the homes on St Michael
Street. When the development is complete, there will be a footpath from Overhill Close to Exeter
Close and Shelford Road. Jack Overhill (1903-89) was a local writer, broadcaster and river
swimmer. He and his wife, Jessie, bought 99 Shelford Road in 1927 and lived there for some
years and again from 1945. (See
Trumpington Personalities: Jack Overhill.)


Addenbrooke's Road: road developed to provide access to the Cambridge Biomedical
Campus/Addenbrooke's Hospital and the new housing developments on Glebe Farm and Clay
Farm, linking Hauxton Road, Shelford Road and the Hospital. The road was named by the
hospital authorities when it opened in October 2010. It had been referred to as the
Addenbrooke's Access Road during the planning and construction process.


Published sources

See the page about the Street Naming Award, November 2013.

Baker, Richard Grey (1830).
Baker's Map of the University and Town of Cambridge, 1830:
with an introduction
. (Reproduction published by the Cambridgeshire Records Society in 1998.)

Brown, Shirley (1986).
Trumpington in Old Picture Postcards. Zaltbommel, Netherlands:
European Library.

Cambridgeshire Inclosure and Tithe Papers (1804).
A Map of the Parish of Trumpington in the
County of Cambridge, 1804
. [Cambridgeshire Archives, R60/24/2/70(a)]

Ronald Gray and Derek Stubbins (2000).
Cambridge Street Names: their Origins and
Associations
. Cambridge: CUP.

Jane M. Renfrew, Magnus A. Renfrew and John K. Rose (1996).
Rus In Urbe. Chaucer Road
and Latham Road: the History of Two Rural Roads in Cambridge
. Cambridge: Solachra.

Trumpington Local History Group (2003).
Trumpington Past & Present. Researched and
written by Shirley Brown. Stroud: Sutton Publishing.
Inland Revenue Land Value map for Trumpington, 1910-11, with annotated names of Long Road and Gazeley Road.