Trumpington Village Sign unveiled June 2010, designed by Sheila Betts.
Trumpington Local History Group
Trumpington Prisoner of War
Camp (World War II)
Copyright © Trumpington Local History Group, 2016. Updated 23 May 2016.
Email:
admin@trumpingtonlocalhistorygroup.org
The Trumpington Prisoner of War (PoW) Camp held German and Italian
prisoners during and after World War II. The site was then use as a
National Service Hostel until the early 1950s. This page is an introduction
to Camp 45, linked to a number of other pages with recollections and
further details.
Archival material and recollections about the Camp:

Recollections from Hauxton in Times Past and an interview on Radio Cambridgshire (Ken
Fletcher)
Recollections of Brother Herbert Kaden (Hiltrud Hall)
Recollections of Rudi Tecklenberg's family (Hitrud Hall)
Recollections of Vittorio Prati's family (Cristina Prati)
Camp Pass issued to Giovanni Gemma, September 1944
Letter sent by Josef Viehauser to his wife, Anny, 1946 (Arthur Brookes)
Newspaper cuttings (Arthur Brookes)
The altar at Camp 45, 1942 (Angela Walker)
Letter sent by Sgd. Laricchia Tommaso to Major Harris, February 1943 (Ian Hollingsbee)
Christmas Card sent from the Italian prisoners at Camp 61 to Major Harris, 1944 (Ian
Hollingsbee)

The history of the camp was discussed at the Local History Group meeting on 20 October 1998.

There is an aerial photograph of the area in
Trumpington Past & Present, page 51.

Other sources:

Prisoner of War Camps, 1939-1948. Twentieth Century Military Recording Project. Roger J.C.
Thomas, 2003, English Heritage (PDF file).

If you have additional information or recollections about the camp, please let us know.
Camp 45 was near the milestone on the
west side of Hauxton Road, to the south
of a farm track between the road and a
shepherd's cottage (NGR 441 541).

In the 1950s, the area became part of
the PBI site. In 2016, it is on the edge
of the Trumpington Meadows housing
development (close to the Hauxton
Road/Addenbrooke's Road junction and
the farm track now used as the cycle
path from Trumpington to Hauxton).
Site of PoW Camp/Hostel, OS map, 1954.
Ordnance Survey map, 1954,
former PoW camp marked as
'Hostel'
There were hundreds of PoW camps
across the country. This was Camp 45,
described by English Heritage as a
'standard type' of site. At the time of an
International Red Cross inspection on 9
February 1943, there were Italian
prisoners, with a capacity of 750. In
early 1945, it was described as a
German working camp. By the end of
1945, it was an all Austrian camp, with
Germans there from May 1946. A
number of the prisoners worked on
surrounding farms and were lodged with
local farmers after the War. After the
PoW camp closed in 1948, it became a
National Service Hostel for the
accommodation of men employed in the
crucial post-war construction industry.
The site finally closed in about 1954.
The Prisoner of War Camp, Hauxton Road,
Trumpington, late 1940s. Donated by the widow of
one of the prisoners, Armin Renner. From Brother
Herbert Kaden via Hiltrud Hall.