Trumpington Village Sign unveiled June 2010, designed by Sheila Betts.
Trumpington Local History Group
Village Hall Centenary Exhibition,
October 2008
Trumpington Village Hall Centenary Exhibition, October 2008

The Local History Group, Village Hall Trustees and groups that use the Hall collaborated in an
exhibition about life in Trumpington over the last 100 years, to commemorate the 100th
anniversary of the opening of the Hall on 22 October 1908. The exhibition was open from 21-25
October, with panels about the
History of the Hall and its role in the village and the work of
some of the groups that use the Hall today. There was also a slide show, a
Century of Change.
Copyright © Trumpington Local History Group, 2009. Updated 11 May 2009
Poster designed by Stephen Brown
Village Hall Centenary Exhibition, 21-25 October 2008
Reception, 20 October 2008

Over 100 participants took part in a
reception to celebrate the centenary on 20
October 2008, held in the Village Hall.
Trumpington Village Hall on the centenary of
its opening. Photo: Andrew Roberts, October
2008.
The exhibits were produced by:

City of Cambridge Brass Band
Children and Young People's Participation
Service
Forever Active
Mingle Munch
Shaolin King Fu
Trumpington Allotment Society
Trumpington Brownies and Rainbows
Trumpington Councillors' Surgeries
Trumpington Gardening Society
Trumpington Local History Group
Trumpington Parish Church
Trumpington Tuesday Group
Trumpington Tornadoes Bingo Club
Trumpington Women's Institute
Vital Communities
Trumpington Village Hall on the centenary of its opening, 22 October 2008
Exhibition banner and Trumpington Village Hall on the centenary of its opening, 22 October 2008
The Centenary notice board and original foundation stone, Trumpington Village Hall, 26 October 2008
The original foundation stone, date stone and
Centenary notice board, Trumpington Village
Hall. Photo: Andrew Roberts, October 2008.
The original date stone above the entrance door, 1908, Trumpington Village Hall, October 2008
The original foundation stone, Trumpington Village Hall, October 2008
Shirley Brown welcomed the participants
and explained that the idea of the centenary
celebration had been discussed with Antony
Pemberton and then taken forward by the
Local History Group.

Sir Francis Pemberton responded by
recording that the foundation stone for the
Hall had been put down by his grandmother,
Patience Pemberton. His grandfather, Canon
Pemberton, had been a driving force behind
the desire for the Hall. His mother, Viola
Pemberton, had been particularly active with
events in the Hall, including making
marmalade and Pemberton polish, which
were sold in aid of good causes.

The Hall had been extended in the 1920s,
when a billiard room was added, and
refurbished in 1977 for the Queen’s
Jubilee. In recent years, the doctors’
surgery had been opened at the rear of the
Hall. In celebration of the Centenary,
Antony Pemberton had commissioned a new
notice board of English oak, which would
hopefully serve for another 100 years. The
Pemberton family were proud to be
associated with the Hall.

Sir Francis stressed that none of the events
would have been possible without the effort
of Shirley and Stephen Brown. He closed
with a toast to another 100 years of the Hall.
Photographs of Reception