|Trumpington Local History Group
History of Trumpington Village
Hall: 1920s: Additions to the Hall
|Copyright © Trumpington Local History Group, 2009. Updated 17 May 2009
|Continue with the next part of the history of Trumpington Village Hall.
|Display panel about the history
of the Village Hall, Centenary
Exhibition, October 2008.
Photo: Stephen Brown.
By 1921, the Hall was in heavy demand, with a number of village organisations eager to meet
there and a pressure on bookings. In August 1921, the hall was closed for a month and given a
thorough clean. From September 1921, users had to book in writing at least a week in advance
and needed to request any of the following:
gas lights and coal fire (1/= each)
crockery (from the Men's Institute)
gas boiler and tea urn (from the WI)
In 1922, the Men's Institute wanted a second billiard table. Other users protested at the use of
space. The Trustees agreed to build a second room for the sole use of the Men's Institute. All
other organisations would share the original room. Plans for the new room and a committee
room were drawn up in 1923. The additions were made in memory of Canon and Captain
Pemberton. They more than doubled the size of the original building, including a Card or
Committee Room, Billiard Room, Kitchen, Ladies and Gents toilets and a new coal store.
The new rooms were opened on 28 February 1924 by Sir Clifford Allbutt, followed by a
Concert, then a Whist Drive on 29 February 1924 and a Carnival Dance on 1 March 1924.
There were further fundraising events during 1924 and 1925, including a Garden Fete held at
Trumpington Hall, 29 May 1924, in aid of the Village Hall Extension Fund.
additions, referring to
Patience, William, Viola,
Francis and Jeremy
|Plan of the Proposed Additions
to the Village Hall, by a
Cambridge architect (name not
clear), c. 1924. Source: Village
|Flyer for the fundraising garden
féte, May 1924. Source: Village
|Flyer for the opening and
1924. Source: Village Hall
|Flyer for the 1925 Concerts.
Source: Village Hall archive.