|Trumpington Local History Group
History of Trumpington Village
Hall: 1930s-40s, World War II
|Copyright © Trumpington Local History Group, 2014. Updated 9 July 2014.
|Continue with the next part of the history of Trumpington Village Hall.
|Display panel about the history
of the Village Hall, Centenary
Exhibition, October 2008.
Photo: Stephen Brown.
In 1936, the British Legion took over the Men's Institute and ran a Social Club for the benefit of
the village and headquarters of the British Legion. The Trustees agreed to pay the outstanding
liabilities of the Men's Institute and rent the rooms to the British Legion for £10 a year (later
reduced to £5 a year). The assets of the Institute included two billiard tables, a chess set and 7-8
cwt of coal.
|Party to celebrate the
coronation of George
VI, 1937. Photo:
Trumpington Past &
Present, p. 115.
The Village Hall was an important local centre during the Second World War. In 1940 and
again in 1943, the Hall was let to the Education Committee as a canteen for school dinners and
this use continued until after the War. In 1941, the Air Raid Precautions unit set up a feeding
centre in the Hall, in case of enemy attack. The Brigade Headquaters stationed at Anstey Hall
used the Village hall for dances, with inevitable problems. Evacuees from St James School,
Muswell Hill, set up a schoolroom in the Hall and held a Christmas Party there on Boxing Day.
The British Legion showed a film on missionary work, with two sittings to accommodate the
extra children. The British Legion and Women's Institute organised a canteen for soldiers living
in local camps. There was a National Savings indicator outside the Hall, with a movable seagull
which showed the total savings from the village, so that Street Savings Groups could check the
progress. In 1944, it was suggested that the new Primary School could be built adjoining the
Hall and sharing facilities, but this was not pursued. William Pemberton retired as a Trustee in
January 1943 and Mrs Viola Pemberton took his place alongside Mr Saville Peck (now the
Chairman) and the Vicar.
|Poster for a dance concert
by The Anstey Rhythm
Revellers, 19 May 1941.
Source: Percy Seeby.
|The band outside the
Village Hall at the
wedding of Mabel and
Percy Seeby, 18
November 1944, the day
the street lights were
turned on again. The band
made an arch of their
instruments and went on
to the reception in the
Village Hall (Percy is the
figure with the
saxophone). Mabel had
been evacuated to
Trumpington during the
war. Photo: Percy and
In 1947, the Pemberton Trustees donated additional land at the rear of the Hall to be used for
an extension, to house an army hut and toilets, to be installed by Mr L. Wedd. It was agreed to
ask the Council to remove the air-raid shelter from the rear of the Hall. With the addition of the
hut, the Trustees agreed to continue to let the rooms to the Trumpington British Legion Social
Club, now at a rent of £50 per year (an increase from £10 a year). In 1949, the Trumpington
Sports Association formed a Football Section. As there was no changing facility on the
Recreation Ground, the Secretary of the Association asked if they could change in the
cloakroom at the Village Hall on Saturday afternoons. Later in the year, the Pemberton
Trustees agreed to allow a right of access from the farm road to Manor Farm to the rear of the
Hall, for the purpose of a scout hut.
|Revised list of charges for
the use of the Hall,
November 1947. There
was a small addition to the
charges after the
installation of a gas meter
rather than a slot meter.
Source: Village Hall
|Letter from the
Pemberton Trustees about
the donation of land for
an extension, including
land which held an air raid
shelter. The agreement
specifies the need for
December 1947. Source:
Village Hall archive.