Trumpington Village Sign unveiled June 2010, designed by Sheila Betts.
Trumpington Local History Group
Unveiling of the Hauxton Road
milestone, May 2011
Copyright © Trumpington Local History Group, 2011. Updated 13 June 2011.
Email:
admin@trumpingtonlocalhistorygroup.org
The third of the Trinity Hall
milestones on the route from
Cambridge to Barkway was
replaced close to its original
location in May 2011. Originally
installed in 1729, the milestone had
to be moved from its location on
Hauxton Road while the
Addenbrooke's Road/Hauxton
Road junction was constructed. It
was held in storage, repainted and
placed on a new plinth by Ivett and
Reed.
The third Trinity Hall milestone
after its unveiling, 26 May 2011.
Photo: Stephen Brown.
In a brief ceremony on 26 May 2011, Professor Sir Roy Calne and local historian Ken Fletcher
unveiled the milestone. Speaking on behalf of the County Council, Mike Davies thanked Ken
Fletcher for his advice on the history of the milestone. Sir Roy explained that Trinity Hall had
received an ancient legacy from a Fellow to maintain the route and that the milestone
incorporated a crescent which was derived from the coat of arms of the founder of the college,
Bishop William Bateman. Ken Fletcher said that this stone represented the history of the area
from the 18th century to the present. The milestone had been in place since MDCCXXIX
(1729). The stone showed evidence of wear: 'Cambridge' was removed during World War II
and recut after the War and the lower text with the date had unfortunately been lost when the
stone was damaged in June 2000. Ken congratulated the County Council for the care that had
been taken during the road works. Howard Slatter and other members of the Local History
Group applauded the return to the milestone.
Left: Professor Sir Roy Calne (Trinity Hall) and Mike Davies
(Cambridgeshire County Council). Right: Professor Sir Roy Calne and
Ken Fletcher. Unveiling of the third Trinity Hall milestone, 26 May
2011. Photos: Andrew Roberts.
The third Trinity Hall milestone after its unveiling, 26 May 2011. Photo: Stephen Brown.
Professor Sir Roy Calne (Trinity Hall) and Mike Davies (Cambridgeshire County Council) and the unveiling of the third Trinity Hall milestone, 26 May 2011. Photo: Andrew Roberts.
Professor Sir Roy Calne and Ken Fletcher at the unveiling of the third Trinity Hall milestone, 26 May 2011. Photo: Andrew Roberts.
Howard Slatter, Professor Sir Roy Calne and Ken Fletcher at the unveiling of the third Trinity Hall milestone, 26 May 2011. Photo: Stephen Brown.
Howard Slatter, Professor Sir Roy Calne and Ken Fletcher at the
unveiling of the third Trinity Hall milestone, 26 May 2011. Photo:
Stephen Brown.
Group at the unveiling of the third Trinity Hall milestone, 26 May 2011. Photo: Stephen Brown.
Group at the unveiling of the third Trinity Hall milestone, 26 May 2011.
Photo: Stephen Brown.