|Trumpington Local History Group
Trumpington Public Houses
|Copyright © Trumpington Local History Group, 2017. Updated 13 December 2017.
|Extract from the Inland Revenue Land Value map
for Trumpington, 1910-11, showing the Green
Man, the Coach & Horses, the Red Lion, the
Tally Ho and the Unicorn. Reproduced by
permission of Cambridgeshire Archives, file
470/047, sheet XLVII.10.
|There is evidence of the Ram's Head, the
White Lion and the Black Swan in the
16th-18th centuries, but they appear to
have closed before the late 18th century.
The only inns recorded in the 1790s were
the Green Man and the Coach & Horses,
opposite each other on the High Street.
By the 1840s, the Red Lion and the Tally
Ho had also opened, a short distance to
the south along the High Street. The Red
Lion was rebuilt in the 1930s and
eventually closed in the 1970s.
The Unicorn opened in Church Lane in
the 1850s and the Volunteer on
Trumpington Road also in the 1850s.
Three of the pubs have been converted
into restaurants: the Coach & Horses/Wok
'n' Grill, the Green Man and the
Volunteer/Zahza Grill (closed 2015).
The Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (1959) describes the Green Man and the
Coach & Horses, p. 390-91.
The Victoria County History (VCH) (1982) includes a summary of the different pubs, p.
See the bibliography for full details.