|Trumpington Local History Group
The Green Man Public House
|Extract from the Inland Revenue Land
Value map for Trumpington, 1910-11,
showing the Green Man. Reproduced by
permission of Cambridgeshire Archives, file
470/047, sheet XLVII.10.
|The Green Man was originally a 15th century
(late Medieval) timber-framed hall-house, with a
ground-floor hall open to the roof and a gabled
cross-wing at each end, part refaced with brick. A
floor was inserted into the hall during the 16th
century and the south wing extended. There were
further extensions in later periods, more or less in
character with the old building, including the
prominent bay windows. It was recorded as an
inn by the late 18th century. Most of the
Medieval structure was concealed in 1954 when
the inn was modernised, but the original king-post
roof of the hall and much of the internal
timbering remains intact, albeit largely hidden. It
is now listed Grade II.
As well as accommodation, the inn provided
stabling. Well attended horse shows were held
there in the 1850s. Innkeepers included the Bland
family from the 1780s to at least the 1850s, with
Thomas William Bland being recorded as a
brewer and farmer in 1858. In those days, many
inns had their own small brewery, beer being
widely regarded as a safer drink than the local
water. Innkeepers often had a second trade.
In the early 1900s, the Green Man was well-
known for its shaded tea garden, complete with
tree-house. Polo ponies were stabled at the back
and the inn boasted a billiard table. It was also the
local parcel depot. Charles Hering was the
licensee from 1905 to 1936.
John Corbett Harris was a licensee in the late
1930s. He volunteered for the army in 1940 and
was killed in action in the Middle East in 1942.
A celebrity innkeeper in the 1960s was the retired
band leader Charles Shadwell, well known to
radio listeners for his infectious high-pitched
chuckle when conducting the BBC Variety
Orchestra. A collection of memorabilia from his
musical career was on display in the pub,
including a miniature orchestra.
In 1984, a very large but compatible extension
was added by Whitbreads on the south side,
when the inn became a popular Beefeater Steak
House. It transformed in the 1990s into an Out
'n' Out restaurant, when the building was given
an external make-over with somewhat dubious
corporate colours and signage. This was recently
improved when the restaurant went up-market.
Now, its smart signs declare it once more to be
the Green Man, although the colour scheme does
the old inn no favours (2009). The Green Man
was further renovated and redecorated in 2019.
Together with the nearby cottages, the Green
Man and the Coach & Horses are markedly
lower than the road, which has been raised by
many years of resurfacing.
The Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (1959) describes the Green Man and the
Coach & Horses, p. 390-91.
The Victoria County History (VCH) (1982) includes a summary of the different pubs, p.
See the bibliography for full details.
|The Green Man, late 1960s.
Central Library. Reproduced
in Trumpington Past &
Present, p. 68.
|The Green Man tea garden, early 1900s and
1920s. Source: Cambridgeshire Collection,
Cambridge Central Library. Reproduced in
Trumpington Past & Present, p. 68 and 69.
|The Green Man garden, 2002. Photo: Jo
Elliot. Reproduced in Trumpington Past &
Present, p. 69.
|The Green Man, March 2009. Photo:
|If you have any further information about this or the other pubs in
Trumpington, we would be very interested to hear from you.
|The Green Man pub sign, March 2009.
Photo: Peter Dawson.
|The raised surface of the High Street,
March 2009. Photo: Peter Dawson.
|Copyright © Trumpington Local History Group, 2019. Updated 10 March 2019.