Trumpington Village Sign unveiled June 2010, designed by Sheila Betts.
Trumpington Local History Group
Trumpington Traders: Shelford
Road and Bishops Road
Copyright © Trumpington Local History Group, 2014. Updated 9 July 2014.
Email:
admin@trumpingtonlocalhistorygroup.org
Arthur Brookes

The changing face of
Shelford Road shops:
the nature of the
handful of shops has
evolved over the last
100 years, reflecting
changes in society.
This note is one of a
series about
traders,
based on a
presentation given at
a Group meeting on
11 October 2012.
Shelford Road from the Hauxton Road junction,
early 1950s. Source: Arthur Brookes.
Shelford Road had no shortage of Boot Repairers and Ladies hairdressers and people also
advertised their profession even if they worked elsewhere.

4 Bishops Road (near the corner of Shelford Road): 1924 Mrs Richardson general store, later
managed by Mrs Rolph. Mrs Richardson was famed for her homemade ice cream. In the
1970s, the shop was empty before becoming a dental practice, now Dr D. Abdah & Associates.
Shelford Road from the Hauxton Road junction, early 1950s. Source: Arthur Brookes.
Mrs Richardson’s general store, 4 Bishop’s Road, early 1930s. Source: Cambridgeshire Collection.
Mrs Richardson's general
store, 4 Bishop's Road,
early 1930s.
Cambridgeshire
Collection.
Dental surgery, 4 Bishop’s Road, 2002. Stephen Brown.
Dental surgery, 4
Bishop's Road,
2002. Stephen
Brown.
132 Shelford Road: now Design Matters design shop, previously a cycle shop, antique shop,
ladies hairdressers run by sisters Joyce and Mary Boot, with Mary Boot's husband Peter Dean
building a gent's saloon at the rear. In 1935, it was Gilbert's Butchers.
Design Matters, 132 Shelford Road, 2012. Arthur Brookes.
Design Matters, 132
Shelford Road,
2012. Arthur
Brookes.
150 Shelford Road: this has had seven users, now Trumpington Food and Wine, previously My
Wine, Threshers, Augustus Barnett, Mr Styles, Cecil Pitman and before that Cherry Stores.
Pitman's was a grocer famed for home cooked hams; Cherries Stores was known as a family
store. The shop has gone from being privately owned to a chain and now back to an
independent shop and flat.
Trumpington Food and Wine, 150 Shelford Road, 2012. Arthur Brookes.
Trumpington Food
and Wine, 150
Shelford Road,
2012. Arthur
Brookes.
158 Shelford Road:
1935: Bert Carter Automotive Engineer
1960s: C.W. Fletcher also of Shelford
1967: Richard Wells, in 1970 this was extended when adjoining houses were demolished
1991: Buckingham and Stanley, which also had a good general store for newspapers, milk etc.
Bert Carter’s garage, 158 Shelford Road, early 1930s. Cambridgeshire Collection.
Bert Carter's garage, 158
Shelford Road, early
1930s. Cambridgeshire
Collection.
C.W. Fletcher garage, 158 Shelford Road, early 1960s. Edmund Brookes.
C.W. Fletcher
garage, 158 Shelford
Road, early 1960s.
Edmund Brookes.
Richard Wells garage, 158 Shelford Road, early 1970s. Edmund Brookes.
Richard Wells
garage, 158 Shelford
Road, early 1970s.
Edmund Brookes.
Buckingham and Stanley garage, 158 Shelford Road, 2012. Arthur Brookes.
Buckingham and
Stanley garage, 158
Shelford Road,
2012. Arthur
Brookes.