Trumpington Village Sign unveiled June 2010, designed by Sheila Betts.
Trumpington Local History Group
Trumpington Timeline:
1851 - 1900
Copyright © Trumpington Local History Group, 2015. Updated 13 May 2015.
Email:
admin@trumpingtonlocalhistorygroup.org
Edited by Andrew Roberts

Trumpington's history in the second half of the 19th century, including
housing development to the north of the village, population growth and
the building of the Cambridge-Bedford railway. One of a series of pages
with
Trumpington's timeline.
Local passenger train from
Cambridge to Bedford,
passing under Long Road
bridge, Trumpington.
Reproduced with
permission from
Bletchley
to Cambridge
, Vic Mitchell
and Keith Smith, Middleton
Press, 2007.
1861
Monument (obelisk) erected at Nine Wells to commemorate the benefactors involved in the
building of Hobson's Brook and Hobson's Conduit.
Sources of information: Bushell, W.D. (1938).
Hobson's Conduit. The New River at
Cambridge Commonly Called Hobson's River
. Gray, E.A. (1977). Hobson's Conduit, the
Story of a Cambridgeshire Chalk Stream
.
Local History Group web page:
Hobson's Brook and Hobson's Conduit
1851
Census carried out on 30 March, population of Trumpington 771 people.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1948).
The History of
the County of Cambridge & the Isle of Ely. Volume II
, page 138. The Victoria History of the
Counties of England (1982).
A History of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII.
Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
. Trumpington, page 249.
Local History Group web page:
1851 Census of Trumpington.
1851
In addition to the standard 10-year census, a Religious Census was carried out across the
country.
1857
Building of the Schoolmaster's House, next to the
Church School, Church Lane. The house was
designed by acclaimed architect William Butterfield
and constructed by L. Gray & Son, Cambridge.
Sources of information: Hill, Rosemary (2004).
'Butterfield, William (1814-1900)',
Oxford
Dictionary of National Biography
. Oxford
University Press. [accessed 3 February 2011]
Taylor, David (n.d.).
The School House,
Trumpington, 1857. William Butterfield: Architect
.
Unpublished (see Web page below). The Victoria
History of the Counties of England (1982).
A History
of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII.
Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
. Trumpington,
page 266.
Local History Group web pages:
The School House,
Trumpington, and William Butterfield. Education and
schools in Trumpington
1858
The Unicorn public house recorded as a
brewhouse, to the north of the school and
headmaster's house on Church Lane.
Sources of information: The Victoria History
of the Counties of England (1982).
A History
of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely,
Volume VIII. Armingford and Thriplow
Hundreds
. Trumpington, page 251.
Local History Group web page: The
Unicorn
public house
1861
Census carried out on 7 April, population of Trumpington fallen to 716.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1948).
The History of
the County of Cambridge & the Isle of Ely. Volume II
, page 138. The Victoria History of the
Counties of England (1982).
A History of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII.
Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
. Trumpington, page 249.
Local History Group web page:
1861 Census of Trumpington.
The Unicorn public house, May 2009. Photo: Andrew Roberts.
The Unicorn public house, May 2009. Photo:
Andrew Roberts.
1865
Building of Anstey Hall cottage, Maris Lane, with "ornate
Ruskinian Gothic details", including a design with the date and
the initials CFF. This refers to Charles Finch Foster (born c.
1841, died 1920), whose grandfather, Ebenezer Foster, had
bought Anstey Hall from the Anstey estate in 1838. Charles
Finch Foster also built Pinehurst in Grange Road, Cambridge.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of
England (1982).
A History of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of
Ely, Volume VIII. Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
.
Trumpington, page 255-56. Entry in the Victorian Web.
Local History Group web page:
The east side of Hobson’s Monument, Nine Wells. Photo: Andrew Roberts, August 2008.
The monument at Nine Wells commemorating the building of Hobson’s Conduit, 1920s. From a photograph used by Percy Robinson during lectures in the 1920s-1940s.
Left: the monument in the
1920s, from a photograph
used by Percy Robinson
during lectures in the
1920s-1940s. Right: the east
side of the monument. Photo:
Andrew Roberts, August
2008.
1862
Construction of the Bedford-Cambridge railway line, LNWR, through the parish, from the
south west across the River Cam, to the south east of the village and a junction near Long Road
with the London-Cambridge line. Opened 1 August 1662.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1948).
The History of
the County of Cambridge & the Isle of Ely. Volume II
, page 133. The Victoria History of the
Counties of England (1982).
A History of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII.
Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
. Trumpington, page 250.
Local History Group web page:
Introduction to Railways in Trumpington and The Railways of
Trumpington, 1845-2010.
1860s
A boom in the extraction of coprolites across the parish.
Sources of information: Grove, Richard (1976).
The Cambridgeshire Coprolite Mining Rush.
O'Connor, Bernard (1998).
The Dinosaurs on Coldham's Common: the Story of Cambridge's
Coprolite Industry
. O'Connor, Bernard (1999). The Trumpington Fossil Diggings: An Account
of the 19th Century Coprolite Diggings
.
Local History Group web page:
Farming in Trumpington: Evidence from Censuses
1868
Extension of the Church School by the addition of an infants' schoolroom.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1982).
A History of
Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII. Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
.
Trumpington, page 266.
Local History Group web page:
Education and schools in Trumpington
1880
Elementary Education Act requiring compulsory attendance at school from 5-10 years of age.
Local History Group web page: The
Education system in England
1860s-
The majority of the Trinity College land along the east side of Trumpington Road to the north
of Long Road was used to form large estates, such as Leighton House, and St Faith's School.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1982).
A History of
Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII. Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
.
Trumpington, page 250.
Local History Group web page:
1866-69
Construction of Leighton House on
the east side of Trumpington Road,
for Robert Sayle (now the Perse
Preparatory School). Robert Sayle
(1816-83) was a retailer and
philanthropist.
Sources of information: Sieveking,
L.M., Gooch, Jenifer and Daly,
Olivia (2008).
A History of Robert
Sayle, 1840-2007
.
Local History Group web page:
Reminscences of the Perse Prep
School
Leighton House in the mid 1950s. Source: Edmund Brookes.
Leighton House in the mid 1950s. Source: Edmund
Brookes.
1870
Elementary Education Act: Board Schools provided an education for the 5-10 age group, but it
was not yet compulsory.
Local History Group web page: The
Education system in England
1871
Census carried out on 2 April, population of Trumpington 841 people.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1948).
The History of
the County of Cambridge & the Isle of Ely. Volume II
, page 138. The Victoria History of the
Counties of England (1982).
A History of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII.
Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
. Trumpington, page 249.
Local History Group web page:
1871 Census of Trumpington.
1875
Publication of the first Parish Magazine.
Sources of information:
1878-
Housing developments along Chaucer Road, Newton Road, etc.,
on land owned by the Pemberton estate.
Sources of information: Renfrew, Jane M., Renfrew, Magnus A.
and Rose, John K. (1996).
Rus In Urbe. Chaucer Road and
Latham Road: the History of Two Rural Roads in Cambridge
.
The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1982).
A
History of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII.
Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
. Trumpington, page 250.
Local History Group web page:
Developing Chaucer Road and
Latham Road
Extract from the Inland Revenue Land Value map for Trumpington, 1910-11, reproduced by permission of Cambridgeshire Archives, file 470/047, sheet XLVII.10.
Extract from the Inland Revenue Land Value map for
Trumpington, 1910-11
, reproduced by permission of
Cambridgeshire Archives, file 470/047, sheet XLVII.10.
1880
Southacre, Latham Road, built for Reverend Henry Latham of Trinity Hall, in the grounds of a
former nursery
Sources of information: Renfrew, Jane M., Renfrew, Magnus A. and Rose, John K. (1996).
Rus In Urbe. Chaucer Road and Latham Road: the History of Two Rural Roads in Cambridge.
Local History Group web page:
Developing Chaucer Road and Latham Road
1889
Publication of Widnall's Reminiscences of Trumpington Fifty Years Ago.
Sources of information: Widnall, S.P. [Samuel Page] (1889).
Reminiscences of Trumpington
Fifty Years Ago
. Jennings, Christine (2003). Widnall. A Capital Contriver. the Story of a
Victorian Household in the Village of Grantchester
.
Local History Group web page:
1881
Census carried out on 3 April, population of Trumpington 940.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1948).
The History of
the County of Cambridge & the Isle of Ely. Volume II
, page 138. The Victoria History of the
Counties of England (1982).
A History of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII.
Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
. Trumpington, page 249.
Local History Group web page:
1881 Census of Trumpington.
Locomotive running from Cambridge to Bletchley, passing under Long Road bridge, Trumpington. Reproduced with permission from Bletchley to Cambridge, Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith, Middleton Press, 2007.
1883
Trumpington and Grantchester Horticultural Show.
Sources of information:
Cambridge Chronicle, 1883. Trumpington Gardening Society history.
1884
Death of Henry Fawcett on 6 November 1884,
buried at the Parish Church on 10 November
1884. Henry Fawcett (1833-84) was an
economist and politican, married to Millicent
Garrett, who lived at 18 Brookside,
Cambridge. His grave is on the south side of
the church. It was renovated and rededicated
in 2009.
Sources of information: Dawson, Peter (2009).
Henry Fawcett - Man of Vision. Dawson,
Peter (2009).
Who Was Henry Fawcett?
Goldman, Lawrence (2006). 'Fawcett, Henry
(1833-1884)',
Oxford Dictionary of National
Biography
.
Local History Group web page:
Rededication
of grave, 1 April 2009.
Henry Fawcett’s grave before renovation. Photo: Stephen Brown
Henry Fawcett's grave before renovation.
Photo: Stephen Brown.
1884
James Payn (1830-98), publishes The Canon's Ward, with the line "Beside the pleasant mill at
Trumpington".
Sources of information: Text of
The Canon's Ward
1882 or 1887
The windmill on Long Road stopped working, the Victoria County History says this was after a
boiler blew up in 1882, other sources say in 1887. The mill was demolished at some point, the
Victoria County History says that only the stump was left by 1930, other sources say c. 1889.
By the 1960s, the site had been taken over by the telephone exchange.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1982).
A History of
Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII. Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
.
Trumpington, page 261.
1888
The Indian Prince Ranji (Ranjitsinhji Vibhaji, maharaja jam sahib of Navanagar), a renowned
batsman who later played for England, lived at 1 Chaucer Road.
Sources of information: Renfrew, Jane M., Renfrew, Magnus A. and Rose, John K. (1996).
Rus In Urbe. Chaucer Road and Latham Road: the History of Two Rural Roads in
Cambridge
. Wilde, Simon (2004). 'Ranjitsinhji Vibhaji, maharaja jam sahib of Navanagar
[Ranjitsinhji or Ranji] (1872-1933)',
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.
Local History Group web page:
Developing Chaucer Road and Latham Road
1899
Opening of Free Church, Alpha Terrace.
Sources of information:
1890 or 1893
Opening of cemetery at the corner of Hauxton Road and
Shelford Road.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the
Counties of England (1982).
A History of
Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII.
Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
. Trumpington, page
265.
Local History Group web page:
Extract from the Inland Revenue
Land Value map for Trumpington,
1910-11
, showing the cemetery.
Reproduced by permission of
Cambridgeshire Archives, file
470/047, sheet XLVII.10.
Extract from the Inland Revenue Land Value map for Trumpington, 1910-11, showing the cemetery. Reproduced by permission of Cambridgeshire Archives, file 470/047, sheet XLVII.10.
Trumpington cemetery and the first houses to be built on Shelford Road. Photo: Andrew Roberts, January 2008.
Trumpington cemetery and the first houses to
be built on Shelford Road. Photo: Andrew
Roberts, January 2008
1891
Census carried out on 5 April, population of Trumpington 975 people.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1948).
The History of
the County of Cambridge & the Isle of Ely. Volume II
, page 138. The Victoria History of the
Counties of England (1982).
A History of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII.
Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
. Trumpington, page 249.
Local History Group web page:
1891 Census of Trumpington.
1892-96
Housing construction started along Newton Road.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1982).
A History of
Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII. Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
.
Trumpington, page 250.
Local History Group web page:
1892-94
Opening of Homerton College in buildings previously occupied by Cavendish College, Hills
Road (then in Trumpington Parish).
Sources of information: Sieveking, L.M., Gooch, Jenifer and Daly, Olivia (2008),
A History of
Robert Sayle, 1840-2007
. The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1982). A History of
Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII. Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
.
Trumpington, page 267.
1876
Construction of Cavendish College, Hills Road (then in Trumpington Parish, buildings taken
over by Homerton College in 1892-94).
Sources of information: Sieveking, L.M., Gooch, Jenifer and Daly, Olivia (2008),
A History of
Robert Sayle, 1840-2007
. The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1982). A History of
Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII. Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
.
Trumpington, page 267.
1893
School leaving age raised to 11.
Local History Group web page: The
Education system in England
1893
First Working Men's Chrysanthemum Show.
Sources of information:
Cambridge Chronicle, 7 April 1893, p.4. Trumpington Gardening
Society history.
late 1890s
Construction of Alpha Terrace to the north of the old village and east of the High Street, mainly
built from 1897 to 1910.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1982).
A History of
Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII. Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
.
Trumpington, page 250.
Extract from the Inland Revenue Land Value map for Trumpington, 1910-11, showing Alpha Terrace. Reproduced by permission of Cambridgeshire Archives, file 470/047, sheet XLVII.10.
Extract from the Inland
Revenue
Land Value map
for Trumpington,
1910-11
, showing Alpha
Terrace. Reproduced by
permission of
Cambridgeshire Archives,
file 470/047, sheet
XLVII.10.
1894
St Faiths School moved from Belvoir Terrace,
Cambridge, to Trumpington Road.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of
the Counties of England (1982).
A History of
Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume
VIII. Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
.
Trumpington, page 267.
Local History Group web page:
History of St
Faith's School
School House, St Faith’s School. Photo: Howard Slatter, 2010.
School House, St Faith's School. Photo:
Howard Slatter, 2010.
1899
School leaving age raised to 12.
Local History Group web page: The
Education system in England.
1852
Completion of the Kings Cross to Cambridge railway line, merging with the Liverpool Street to
Cambridge line at the 'Shepreth Branch Junction' to the south of Trumpington.
Sources of information: Fellows, Reginald B. (1976).
London to Cambridge by Train
1845-1938
. Cambridge: Oleander Press.
Local History Group web page:
Introduction to Railways in Trumpington and The Railways of
Trumpington, 1845-2010.
Anstey Hall cottage. Photo: Jacqueline Banerjee, 2008.
Anstey Hall cottage. Photo: Jacqueline Banerjee, 2008.
1865-66
Construction of new building for the original
Addenbrooke's Hospital, Trumpington Street,
Cambridge.
Sources of information: Rook, Arthur, Carlton,
Margaret and Cannon, W. Graham (1991).
The History of Addenbrooke's Hospital
Cambridge
. Cambridge: CUP. Page 149.
1864
Foundation of the Trumpington
Amateur Brass Band by Mr T.R.
Higham, Schoolmaster, which
thrived for at least 50 years.
Sources of information: Percy
Robinson notes held by Local
History Group (1910). The Victoria
History of the Counties of England
(1982).
A History of
Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely,
Volume VIII. Armingford and
Thriplow Hundreds
. Trumpington,
page 251.
Local History Group web page:
Trumpington Amateur Brass Band.
Trumpington Brass Band. From a photograph used by Percy Robinson during lectures in the 1920s-1940s.
Trumpington Brass Band. From a photograph used by
Percy Robinson during lectures in the 1920s-1940s.
The Addenbrooke’s Hospital building (now the Judge Business School), Trumpington Street. Photo: Andrew Roberts, January 2011.
The Addenbrooke's Hospital building (now the
Judge Business School). Photo: Andrew
Roberts, January 2011.
Timeline pages
1000-     1-              1001-    1501-    1601-   1701-    1801-   1851-   1901-   1951-    2001-
0 BC      1000 AD    1500     1600     1700    1800     1850     1900    1950    2000     present
1894
The Oddfellows Sidney Campion Lodge (Friendly Society) was founded in 1894 and based at
the Tally Ho Public House in the High Street (then known as London Road). The original
Lodge Secretary was David Howard, a Trumpington man who worked as a Domestic Gardener
and was secretary of the Brass Band until 1892. Sidney Campion was a Cambridge Justice of
Peace and held the post of Mayor of Cambridge on two occasions. By the 1950s the Lodge had
moved to the Free Church School, when it was run by the Haslop family.
Sources of information: Stephen Harper-Scott [January 2011].
The south elevation and garden of the School House. Photo: Andrew Roberts, January 2011.
The south elevation and garden of the School House.
Photo: Andrew Roberts, January 2011.
1883
The retailer and philanthropist Robert Sayle
died at his home, Leighton House, on 5
October 1883. He was buried at Mill Road
Cemetery on 10 October, with the
inscription "In affectionate remembrance of
Robert Sayle JP of Cambridge and China.
Born at Southery, Norfolk February 22nd
1816 died at Trumpington, Cambridge
October 5th 1883" on his monument.
Sources of information:
Mill Road Cemetery
Web site [accessed 4 February 2011].
Sieveking, L.M., Gooch, Jenifer and Daly,
Olivia (2008).
A History of Robert Sayle,
1840-2007
. Page 34.
The grave of Robert Sayle and members of his
family, Mill Road Cemetery, Cambridge. Photo:
Andrew Roberts, February 2011.
The grave of Robert Sayle and members of his family, Mill Road Cemetery, Cambridge. Photo: Andrew Roberts, February 2011.
1877
The Parish Church re-opened in June 1877 after complete exterior restoration. The outer walls,
tower and windows were renewed in Bath stone and the roof was raised to the original pitch
and covered with lead..
Sources of information:
Cambridgeshire Chronicle, 9 June 1877.
Local History Group web page: The
History of Trumpington Parish Church.