Trumpington Village Sign unveiled June 2010, designed by Sheila Betts.
Trumpington Local History Group
Trumpington Timeline:
1901 - 1950
Copyright © Trumpington Local History Group, 2015. Updated 3 September 2015.
Email:
admin@trumpingtonlocalhistorygroup.org
Edited by Andrew Roberts

Trumpington's history in the first half of the 20th century, including the
incorporation of the village into Cambridge, the spread of housing and
increase in population and the impact of the two world wars. One of a
series of pages with
Trumpington's timeline.
1947
Development of the Trumpington Allotment site
between Shelford Road and Foster Road. The
first page of the original Minutes Book of the
Trumpington Allotment and Garden Society Ltd
(TAGS) records the inaugural meeting in April
1947, when building of the estate was still in full
swing. Early pages from the first plot rentals
book, dating from May 1947, show that allotment
tenants, as now, came from right across the
village, not just from the estate.
Sources of information: Trumpington Allotment
Society.
Local History Group web page:
Foster Road
Allotments.
Sketch of the proposed design of the Village Hall, April 1907, drawn by Walter Brierley. Source: Village Hall archive.
Sketch of the proposed
design of the Village Hall,
April 1907, drawn by
Walter Brierley. Source:
Village Hall archive.
early 1900s
The village begins to extend to the south,
with new housing built on the north east side
of the road to Great Shelford (later called
Shelford Road).
Sources of information:
Local History Group web page:
Extract from the Inland Revenue Land Value
map for Trumpington, 1910-11
, showing the
cemetery. Reproduced by permission of
Cambridgeshire Archives, file 470/047, sheet
XLVII.10.
Shelford Road from the junction with the
High Street and Hauxton Road, with the first
houses on the left, c. 1920. Photograph:
reproduced in
Trumpington in Old Picture
Postcards
, 25.
Shelford Road from the junction with the High Street and Hauxton Road, with the first houses on the left, c. 1920. Photograph: reproduced in Trumpington in Old Picture Postcards, 25.
1901
Census carried out on 31 March, population of Trumpington 1084.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1948).
The History of
the County of Cambridge & the Isle of Ely. Volume II
, page 138.
Local History Group web page:
1901 Census of Trumpington.
1907-08
In 1907, an appeal was launched for subscriptions to fund a village hall. Trumpington Village
Hall (Trumpington Men's Institute) was designed by York architect Walter Brierley and built in
the centre of the village, on the east side of the High Street. The opening meeting in the new
hall was held on 22 October 1908.
Sources of information: Village Hall archive. The Victoria History of the Counties of England
(1982).
A History of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII. Armingford and
Thriplow Hundreds
. Trumpington, page 251. Trumpington Local History Group (2000). 20th
Century Trumpington
. Pages 3-4.
Local History Group web page:
History of the Village Hall
The subscribers who supported the building of the Village Hall, 1907. Source: Village Hall archive.
1909
Rupert Brooke moves to The Old Vicarage, Grantchester, and writes the poem "The Old
Vicarage, Grantchester" while reminiscing in Berlin, including the lines:
"At Over they fling oaths at one,
And worse than oaths at Trumpington"
Sources of information: Caesar, Adrian (2008). 'Brooke, Rupert Chawner (1887-1915)',
Oxford
Dictionary of National Biography.
Local History Group web page:
1908
Percy Robinson appointed Master of the Church School.
Sources of information:
Local History Group web page:
Education and schools in Trumpington
1909-11
The government ordered a national Land Valuation
survey, the results of which were published in 1910-11,
including a map and schedule with details of the occupier,
owner and status of each plot of land. The map is the
1901-03 Ordnance Survey 1:2500 map, annotated in
1910, with information for Trumpington assumed to have
been collected in 1909-10.
Sources of information: The Commissioners of Inland
Revenue (1910).
Duties on Land Values. Record of
Valuations Made by the Commissioners of Inland
Revenue ... Valuation Book for the Parishes of Coton,
Dry Drayton, Grantchester and Trumpington
.
(Cambridgeshire Archives, file 470/047.)
Extract from the Inland Revenue Land Value map for Trumpington, 1910-11, showing the Tally Ho. Reproduced by permission of Cambridgeshire Archives, file 470/047, sheet XLVII.10.
Extract from the Inland Revenue Land Value map
for Trumpington, 1910-11
, showing the Tally Ho.
Reproduced by permission of Cambridgeshire
Archives, file 470/047, sheet XLVII.10.
1911
Census carried out on 2 April, population of Trumpington 1269 people.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1948).
The History of
the County of Cambridge & the Isle of Ely. Volume II
, page 138. The Victoria History of the
Counties of England (1982).
A History of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII.
Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
. Trumpington, page 251.
Local History Group web page:
1911 Census of Trumpington.
1912
Up to this date, the historic parish of Trumpington had been administratively separate from
Cambridge. The first of two major boundary changes was implemented in 1912, with a
considerable area of the parish to the north of Long Road being incorporated in Cambridge
Borough (497 acres out of an historic area of 2312 acres (527 people), leaving 1815 acres).
Sources of information: Darby, H.C. (1938).
A Scientific Survey of the Cambridge Region.
London: British Association. Page 178. The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1948).
The History of the County of Cambridge & the Isle of Ely. Volume II, page 137. The Victoria
History of the Counties of England (1982).
A History of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely,
Volume VIII. Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
. Trumpington, page 248.
1914-18, World War I
World War I had a profound impact on Trumpington, with men and women serving in the
forces, working in hospitals and similar organisations and volunteering locally. Thirty seven
soldiers who died during the War or as a result of their wounds are commemorated on the War
Memorial.
Sources of information: Fletcher, Ken (2014),
Trumpington's Fallen Heroes of World War I.
Lives of the First World War (IWM): Trumpington Community; Curme, Phil (2000). World
War I and II Role of Honour,
Trumpington War Memorial. Trumpington Local History Group
(2000).
20th Century Trumpington, pages 8-9.
Local History Group web page:
Trumpington and World War I.
20th century
For background information, see 20th Century Trumpington,
published by the Trumpington Local History Group in June 2000.
This was written by Shirley Brown, with research by Arthur
Brookes, Peter Dawson, Ken Fletcher, Michael Hendy, Margaret
Marrs, Liz Maloney and Nicholas Wise.
Sources of information: Trumpington Local History Group (2000).
20th Century Trumpington.
Local History Group web page:
Group publications
Front cover, 20th Century Trumpington.
Front cover, 20th Century Trumpington.
The War Memorial in the Village Hall, dedicated to ‘Men of Trumpington who served in the Great War 1914-1918’. Photo: Stephen Brown.
The War Memorial in the Village Hall, dedicated to "Men of Trumpington who
served in the Great War 1914-1918". Photo: Stephen Brown.
1918
Fisher Act of 1918 made secondary education compulsory up to age 14.
Local History Group web page: The
Education system in England.
1919
Two British princes lived at Southacre House, Latham Road: Prince Albert, who became
George VI, and Prince Henry, who became the Duke of Gloucester.
Sources of information: Renfrew, Jane M., Renfrew, Magnus A. and Rose, John K. (1996).
Rus In Urbe. Chaucer Road and Latham Road: the History of Two Rural Roads in Cambridge.
Local History Group web page:
Developing Chaucer Road and Latham Road.
c. 1920
Foundation of the Trumpington Branch of the Women's Institute.
Sources of information: Trumpington Local History Group (2000).
20th Century Trumpington,
page 12.
1919-21
Fund-raising, creation and dedication of the War Memorial on Cross
Hill at the junction of the High Street and Church Lane. The base of
the earlier village cross (c. 1475) was discovered during the erection
of the War Memorial. The memorial was designed and carved by
Eric Gill and dedicated on 11 December 1921. It is now a Grade II*
listed structure. The surroundings were renovated in late 2014.
Sources of information: Curme, Phil (2000). World War I and II
Role of Honour,
Trumpington War Memorial. Fletcher, Ken
(2014),
Trumpington's Fallen Heroes of World War I. Pevsner,
Nicholas (1970).
Cambridgeshire. The Buildings of England.
Trumpington Local History Group (2000).
20th Century
Trumpington
, page 12. The Victoria History of the Counties of
England (1982).
A History of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely,
Volume VIII. Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
. Trumpington,
page 251.
Local History Group web page:
Trumpington War Memorial.
Photograph from the
brochure about the
dedication, 11 December
1921. Original held by
Shirley Brown.
The unveiling of the War Memorial, December 1921. From a photograph used by Percy Robinson during lectures in the 1920s-1940s.
The unveiling of the War Memorial,
December 1921. Percy Robinson, 1921.
1921
Building of the Evelyn Nursing
Home on a site to the east of
Trumpington Road. The hospital
was founded by C. Morland Agnew.
It was sold and renamed the Nuffield
Hospital in 2003.
Sources of information: Trumpington
Local History Group (2000).
20th
Century Trumpington
, page 12.
Mann, Sheila (2005).
A Wonderful
Thing for Cambridge. The Evelyn
Hospital, 1921 to 2003
.
1922
The Royal Show was held in Trumpington in July 1922, on a site to the north of Long Road,
near the railway lines. The site even had its own railway station.
Sources of information: Trumpington Local History Group (2000).
20th Century Trumpington,
page 12-13.
Local History Group web page:
The Railways of Trumpington, 1845-2010.
1920s
A notorious period of ribbon development along Shelford Road, including low-cost
prefabricated bungalows. There was a concern that this type of development would lead to the
spread of Cambridge into the countryside, with the Cambridge Preservation Society being
formed to fight urban growth.
Sources of information:
Local History Group web page:
1920s
Walter E. Dring was born in Alpha Terrace in 1912 and grew up in Trumpington. He wrote his
reminiscences of 1920s Trumpington in 1974.
Sources of information: Dring, W.E. (1974).
Trumpington - Fifty Years Ago.
Local History Group web page:
Trumpington Fifty Years Ago
1925-43
Percy Robinson, the local school teacher, began to give lectures about Trumpington and its
history. He died in post in 1943, aged 65.
Sources of information: Copy of lecture notes and photographs held by Local History Group.
Local History Group web page:
1921
Census year, the population of Trumpington was 1627 people. Despite the transfer of the
northern part of the parish to Cambridge Borough in 1912, this figure is apparently the total for
the original area (unlike in 1931, when the boundary change had a dramatic effect on the
population figure).
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1948).
The History of
the County of Cambridge & the Isle of Ely. Volume II
, page 138.
1934
The second major boundary change came into effect in April 1934 when most of Trumpington
was incorporated in Cambridge Borough. The centre of the village became part of Cambridge,
while 382 acres of "virtually uninhabited" land was transferred to Haslingfield (the area to the
north of Long Road had been transferred in 1912) (total area transferred 1439 acres, 1179
people).
Sources of information: Darby, H.C. (1938).
A Scientific Survey of the Cambridge Region.
London: British Association. Page 178. Trumpington Local History Group (2000).
20th Century
Trumpington
, page 19. The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1982). A History of
Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, Volume VIII. Armingford and Thriplow Hundreds
.
Trumpington, page 248.
1931
Census year, the population of Trumpington was 820 people. Following the transfer of the
northern part of the parish to Cambridge Borough in 1912, this figure is the population in the
reduced area.
Sources of information: The Victoria History of the Counties of England (1948).
The History of
the County of Cambridge & the Isle of Ely. Volume II
, page 138.
1923-24
The Village Hall was extended, with the addition
of a second hall and a committee room built in
memory of Canon and Captain Pemberton, more
than doubling the size of the original building.
The new rooms were opened on 28 February
1924 by Sir Clifford Allbutt.
Sources of information: Village Hall archive.
Local History Group web page:
History of
Trumpington Village Hall, 1920s.
The Village Hall, after the 1924 alterations,
with the entrance to Manor Farm to the left.
From a photograph used by Percy Robinson
during lectures in the 1920s-1940s.
1936
Demolition of the original Red Lion public house,
followed by the construction of a new pub, c. 1939.
Sources of information:
Local History Group web page: The
Red Lion
public house
Village Hall, after the 1924 alterations, with the entrance to Manor Farm to the left. From a photograph used by Percy Robinson during lectures in the 1920s-1940s.
1945-47
The names of eight individuals who died during the War
were added to the base of the War Memorial after the
War by David Kindersley. A further name was added in
2014.
Sources of information: Curme, Phil (2000).
World War I
and II Role of Honour,
Trumpington War Memorial.
Pevsner, Nicholas (1970).
Cambridgeshire. The
Buildings of England
. Trumpington Local History Group
(2000).
20th Century Trumpington, page 27.
Local History Group web pages:
History of Trumpington
War Memorial. History of Trumpington Village Hall,
World War II.
The Red Lion and the War Memorial. Source: Cambridgeshire Collection, Cambridge Central Library. Reproduced in Trumpington Past & Present, p. 72.
The Red Lion and the War Memorial.
Source: Cambridgeshire Collection,
Cambridge Central Library. Reproduced in
Trumpington Past & Present, p. 72.
Memorial to the dead of World War II on Trumpington War Memorial. Photos: Arthur Brookes, 1997.
Memorial to the dead of World War
II on Trumpington War Memorial.
Photo: Arthur Brookes, 1997.
Decorative relief: portrait of a soldier. Photo: Arthur Brookes, 1997.
Decorative relief on the
south face of the War
Memorial: portrait of a
soldier. Photo: Arthur
Brookes, 1997.
1939-45, World War II
The impact of World War II on the local area. The Village Hall was used as a canteen for
school dinners and the Air Raid Precautions unit set up a feeding centre in case of enemy
attack. Evacuees from St James School, Muswell Hill, set up a schoolroom in the Hall and the
British Legion and Women's Institute organised a canteen for soldiers living in local camps.
Anstey Hall and its grounds were used by the military and Trumpington Hall was the location
for an important Red Cross Hospital from 1941.
Sources of information: Trumpington Local History Group (2000).
20th Century Trumpington,
page 20-26.
Local History Group web page:
History of Trumpington Village Hall, World War II.
1943-47
An Internment Camp for Italian and German Prisoners of War (PoWs) was established on a site
to the west of Hauxton Road, near the current Park & Ride site.
Sources of information: Trumpington Local History Group (2000).
20th Century Trumpington,
page 23-24.
Local History Group web page:
Trumpington Prisoner of War Camp.
1944
Education Act set up the split between primary and secondary education at age 11 and raising
the school leaving age to 15.
Local History Group web page:
Education and schools in Trumpington.
1945
Foundation of the Trumpington Branch of the Young Farmers.
Sources of information:
1945-48
Construction of the housing estate to the
east of the High Street and Anstey Way:
Paget Road, Foster Road and Byron Square.
Sources of information: Trumpington Local
History Group (2000).
20th Century
Trumpington
, page 27.
Local History Group web page:
The Estate.
Foster Road during construction, c. 1946.
Cambridgeshire Collection.
1949-50
Opening of Fawcett Junior School (1949) and
Fawcett Infant School (1950), followed by
closure of Church School (1950).
Sources of information: Trumpington Local
History Group (2000).
20th Century
Trumpington
, page 28.
Local History Group web page:
Education and
schools in Trumpington. History of Fawcett
School.
Fawcett School in the 1950s. Photograph: Cambridgeshire Collection, Cambridge Central Library.
Fawcett School in the 1950s. Photograph:
Cambridgeshire Collection, Cambridge Central
Library.
Schematic Plan of Royal Show Station, 1922, courtesy Railway Magazine. Source: Edmund Brookes.
Schematic Plan of Royal Show Station,
1922, courtesy
Railway Magazine.
Source: Edmund Brookes.
The Evelyn Nursing Home. From a photograph used by Percy Robinson during lectures in the 1920s-1940s.
The Evelyn Nursing Home. From a photograph used by
Percy Robinson during lectures in the 1920s-1940s.
Timeline pages
1000-     1-              1001-    1501-    1601-   1701-    1801-   1851-   1901-   1951-    2001-
0 BC      1000 AD    1500     1600     1700    1800     1850     1900    1950    2000     present
1949
Transfer of the ownership of Byron's Pool from
Trumpington Hall estate to Cambridge Council.
Unfortunately, this coincided with the
reconstruction of the weir, which resulted in an
ugly structure which detracted from the beauty
spot and led to a change to the layout of the river
which made it less attractive for swimming. The
weir also acted as a barrier to fish: a fish pass was
developed in 2011 to alleviate this problem.
Sources of information: Information panels at
Byron's Pool, December 2010 and August 2011.
Byron’s Pool in the 1920s. From a photograph used by Percy Robinson during lectures in the 1920s-1940s.
Byron's Pool in the 1920s. From a
photograph used by Percy Robinson during
lectures in the 1920s-1940s.
Trumpington tenants leaving for a day trip to Wicksteed, August 1949.
August 1949
Residents from the new Estate went
for a day trip to Wicksteed. This was
reported in the Cambridge Daily
News, with the caption "Members
and friends of the Trumpington
Estate Tenants' Association about to
leave yesterday for an outing to
Wicksteed Park, where a very
enjoyable time was had by 350
children and 150 adults."
Sources of information: Cambridge
Daily News, 19 August 1949, Brenda
Bass (née Jones) and Val Burden
(née Charge).
Local History Group web page:
Growing up on the Estate.
The Trumpington Allotments minute book, 1947. Source: Trumpington Allotment Society.
Foster Road during construction, c. 1946. Cambridgeshire Collection, Cambridge Central Library.
The Trumpington Allotments minute book, 1947.
Source: Trumpington Allotment Society.
1914
The Trumpington Volunteer Training
Corps was established in December
1914, when a meeting was held at
the Village Hall. By mid 1915, it
involved a cross section of men,
including the local vicar, the owner
of Anstey Hall, the school master
and the head gardener at Anstey
Hall. There were regular reports of
its work in the local newspapers.
Sources of information:
Cambridge
Chronicle
and Cambridge
Independent Press
.
Local History Group web page:
Trumpington Volunteer Training
Corps.
The subscribers
who supported the
building of the
Village Hall, 1907.
Source: Village
Hall
archive.
Trumpington Volunteer Training Corps, November 1915.
Percy Robinson collection.
Trumpington Volunteer Training Corps, November 1915. Percy Robinson collection.
1915
The first of three Rolls of Honour
was unveiled in the Church in
August 1915, with the names of
69 men who “went over in the
Great War of 1914-15 to defend
the honour of England and to
preserve unscathed for future
generations the great inheritance
of British justice and British
liberty".
Sources of information:
Cambridge Chronicle, 3
September 1915, p. 8.
(Cambridgeshire Collection)
The first Trumpington Roll of Honour, Cambridge
Chronicle
, September 1915.
1916
The second local Roll of Honour was
unveiled in August-September 1916,
with the names of men who joined the
forces after 29 August 1915.
Sources of information:
Cambridge
Chronicle
, 6 September 1916, p. 7.
(Cambridgeshire Collection)
The second Trumpington Roll of
Honour,
Cambridge Chronicle,
September 1916.
Extract from the report in the Cambridge Independent Press, July 1919.
Report in the Cambridge Independent Press, July 1919.
1919
There were peace celebrations across the country on 19
July 1919. In Trumpington, the Parish Council made the
arrangements, including a service in the Church, cricket
match and sports on the recreation ground  and “a meat
tea for all returned soldiers and sailors, women who have
been in the Forces, wives of returned men, widows of
fallen men, parents of single men who have given their
lives, and all children over three and under 15 years of
age”, with 600 adults sitting down to tea. The grounds of
Trumpington Hall and Anstey Hall were open in the
evening.
Sources of information:
Cambridge Independent Press,
25 July 1919, p. 9.
1914
One of the first casualties of the War was Francis P. Campbell
Pemberton, killed during fighting in Belgium in October 1914,
remembered by a memorial by Eric Gill in the Church.
Sources of information: Memorial in Church.
Local History Group web page:
Trumpington Church History.
Tablet to Francis Percy Campbell Pemberton (d. 1914), inscription by Eric Gill, in the North Chapel, Trumpington Church, 18 October 2011.
Tablet to Francis Percy Campbell Pemberton (d. 1914),
inscription by Eric Gill, in the North Chapel, Trumpington
Church. Photo: Andrew Roberts.
The first Roll of Honour of the 'Men of Trumpington Serving with HM Forces, 1914'. Published in Cambridge Chronicle, 3 September 1915.
1918
The third Roll of Honour was unveiled
in March 1918, with the names of
men who joined the forces after
September 1916.
Sources of information:
Cambridge
Chronicle
, 18 March 1918, p. 7.
(Cambridgeshire Collection)
The third Roll of Honour of the 'Men of Trumpington Who Joined HM Forces After Sep. 3 1916'. Published in Cambridge Chronicle, 13 March 1918.
The second Roll of Honour of the 'Men of Trumpington Who Joined HM Forces After Aug. 29 1915'. Published in Cambridge Chronicle, 6 September 1916.
The third Trumpington Roll of
Honour,
Cambridge Chronicle,
March 1918.