|Trumpington Local History Group
2001 - present
|Edited by Andrew Roberts
The latest stage in Trumpington's history: 2001 to the present, urban growth including transport links, housing developments, new primary and secondary schools, community facilities and green spaces. One of a series of pages with Trumpington's timeline.
|Photograph of the original village sign alongside the new sign. Photograph taken during the unveiling of the new sign by the Mayor of Cambridge, Councillor Sheila Stuart. Photo: Martin Jones, 15 June 2010.|
2001 census, population of Trumpington Ward 6554 (note that the ward is a larger area than the parish, reaching north into Cambridge, so the figure is not comparable to censuses pre-1931).
Sources of information: National Statistics web site.
Construction of the Trumpington Park & Ride site on part of the former PBI/Monsanto land to the west of Hauxton Road. The site was selected after a lengthy search. It opened in November 2001.
Sources of information: Traffic Management web site. Trumpington Local History Group (2000). 20th Century Trumpington, page 64.
|Trumpington Park & Ride site, with a P&R bus and Addenbrooke’s shuttle. Photo: Andrew Roberts, August 2007.|
Opening of a Branch Surgery in Beverley Way on land to the rear of the Village Hall, part of the Trumpington Street Medical Practice.
Sources of information:
Local History Group web page: History of the Village Hall, the 2000s
Publication of Trumpington Local History Group’s Trumpington Past & Present.
Local History Group web page: Group publications
|Front cover of Trumpington Past & Present.|
Reflecting its concern that impending housing developments should be of benefit to all of Trumpington, the Trumpington Residents' Association published a report on the future of the area, with proposals for a community centre, schools, a medical practice and biodiversity. The report had a positive influence of planners and developers.
Sources of information: Trumpington Residents' Association (2004). Future Development of a Historically Important Parish.
|Front cover of the TRA Development Report.|
|31 January 2005
Designation of Byron's Pool as a Local Nature Reserve.
Sources of information: Information panel at Byron's Pool (December 2010). Cambridge City Local Nature Reserves Web page [accessed 15 January 2011].
|Looking downstream along the riverside footpath at Byron’s Pool. Photo: Andrew Roberts, March 2008.|
Publication of a development framework for the southern fringe of Cambridge focused on Trumpington. After two years of consultation, this provided planning guidance to the councils and developers putting forward plans for new housing and infrastructure around Trumpington. It formed the starting point for the planning applications for Trumpington Meadows, Glebe Farm and Clay Farm. The report has detailed information about the area.
Sources of information: Cambridge City Council (2006). Cambridge Southern Fringe Area Development Framework.
The end of farming on the Clay Farm and the Showground sites, when the land is sold for housing development (further crops are grown in 2009 when the housing plans are delayed).
Local History Group web page: Farms and farming in Trumpington
|Harvesting the Showground fields, Clay Farm. Photo: Andrew Roberts, August 2007.|
Opening of Trumpington Community Orchard at the eastern end of Trumpington Allotments, off Foster Road. Over a number of years, the site had been cleared of debris, bird and bat boxes had been erected in the cherry thicket and a hedgerow had been laid. The area was then planted with 19 Cambridgeshire Heritage apple trees and two plum trees. It was officially opened by the Mayor of Cambridge on 4 May 2008.
Sources of information: Trumpington Community Orchard Web site.
|Opening of the Trumpington Community Orchard, with Ceri Galloway, Councillor Jenny Bailey (Mayor of Cambridge), Jennifer Liddle. Photo: Andrew Roberts, May 2008.|
Celebration of the centenary of the opening of the Village Hall, October 2008.
Local History Group web page: Village Hall Centenary Exhibition and Reception
|Poster designed by Stephen Brown, October 2008.|
|Opening of the Trumpington Village Hall Centenary exhibition. Photo: Cambridge Evening News, 20 October 2008.|
Trumpington Residents’ Association (TRA) becomes a company limited by guarantee (and a registered charity in October 2010).
Sources of information: Trumpington Residents' Association (TRA web site)
Opening of the redeveloped Trumpington Pavilion by the Mayor of Cambridge, Councillor Russ McPherson.
Sources of information: Trumpington Pavilion opening weekend (TRA web site)
|Cutting the ribbon at the opening of Trumpington Pavilion. Photo: Stephen Brown.|
|Trumpington Pavilion entrance and frontage. Photo: Stephen Brown, 29 July 2009.|
Sale of Trumpington Rectory into private hands.
Revision of the Parliamentary Boundary, Trumpington transferred from South Cambridgeshire to Cambridge City, Julian Huppert (Liberal Democrat) elected MP.
Sources of information: List of Parliamentary Constituencies in Cambridgeshire (Wikipedia); Julian Huppert web site
Unveiling of the new village sign by the Mayor of Cambridge, Councillor Sheila Stuart.
Local History Group web pages: Unveiling of the sign and an introduction to the village signs
|Councillor Sheila Stuart, the Mayor of Cambridge, and local children from Fawcett School, at the unveiling of the new village sign. Photo: Stephen Brown, 15 June 2010.|
The Parish Church Bakehouse was opened on 3 October 2010. The building once formed part of the old vicarage outbuildings and was refurbished to include a church office and a meeting space.
Sources of information: Trumpington Parish Church Web site.
|Opening of the Bakehouse, 3 October 2010. Jess Rattenbury and Mary Pitman cutting the ribbon, with Jonas and Rosie Moore and Rev. Andy Chrich. Photo: Stephen Brown.|
The Trumpington Conservation Area was extended on 5 October 2010 (first designated on 25 February 1969 and extended on 2 July 1998).
Sources of information: Cambridge City Council Web site.
Opening of Addenbrooke’s Road, linking Hauxton Road, Shelford Road and Addenbrooke's Hospital and the Cambridge Biomedical Campus. The road also provides access to the Glebe Farm and Clay Farm houding development areas.
Sources of information: TRA diary about the construction of Addenbrooke's Road
Local History Group web page: Opening of Addenbrooke's Road
|The opening of Addenbrooke’s Road. Photos: Cambridgeshire County Council and Andrew Roberts, 27 October 2010.|
|Updated map of Trumpington showing Addenbrooke's Road (Ordnance Survey Get-a-map), December 2010.|
Opening of Fawcett Children’s Centre at Fawcett School, 13 November 2010, in the presence of Julian Huppert MP, City Councillor Sheila Stuart and County Councillor Linda Oliver. The Centre is part of the Sure Start network of services for young children and their parents.
Sources of information: Fawcett Children's Centre
Local History Group web page: History of Fawcett School
|Clare Wilkinson (Manager of the Centre), Julian Huppert MP, Councillor Sheila Stuart (Mayor of Cambridge, 2010-11) and Councillor Linda Oliver (Chair of Cambridgeshire County Council) at the opening of Fawcett Children’s Centre, 13 November 2010. Source: Clare Wilkinson.|
|Celebration cake at the opening of Fawcett Children’s Centre, November 2010. Source: Clare Wilkinson.|
There was a local celebration of the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton on Friday 29 April 2011. This was held at Trumpington Pavilion, with activities in the hall and the surrounding playing field. The Mayor of Cambridge, Councillor Sheila Stuart, took part in the events, while being interviewed for her views on the designation of the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge which had only been announced that morning.
Local History Group web page: Royal Wedding celebration, 29 April 2011.
|Watching the Royal Wedding broadcast, Trumpington Pavilion. Photo: Andrew Roberts, 29 April 2011.|
The Cambridgeshire Guided Busway opened on Sunday 7 August 2011 and services started in the Trumpington area on Monday 8 August 2011. The route through Trumpington follows the line of the former Bedford-Cambridge railway from Trumpington Park & Ride site to Cambridge station with a branch to Adenbrooke's Hospital.
Sources of information: Cambridgeshire Guided Busway, Cambridgeshire County Council and Busway web sites.
Local History Group web page: How the Cambridgeshire Guided Busway came to Trumpington, Peter Dawson.
|Services on the Busway through Trumpington, October 2011. Photos: Andrew Roberts.|
Official opening of the fish pass at Byron's Pool, 25 August 2011. When the weir was reconstructed in 1949, it cut off the upper part of the River Cam: the fish pass enables fish (including minnows, chub and brown trout) to bypass the weir. It was formed along the route of an existing drainage channel. Project led by Ellis Selway, Community Reserves Officer, Cambridge City Council.
Sources of information: Ellis Selway and information panel at the weir.
|Above: Ellis Selway (second from left) talking to participants at the opening of the Byron’s Pool fish pass, including Councillor Ian Nimmo-Smith, Mayor of Cambridge. Below: Byron’s Pool and the outflow of the fish pass. Opening of the fish pass, 25 August 2011. Photos: Ellis Selway.|
A number of local events were held over the long weekend of 2-5 June 2012, to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II. These included Denis Wilson Court, 2 June, Big Lunch, Trumpington Pavilion, 3 June, Street Party, Wingate Way and Wingate Close, 5 June.
Local History Group web page: Local Celebrations of Queen's Diamond Jubilee, June 2012.
|Diamond Jubilee street party, Wingate Way and Wingate Close, 5 June 2012. Photo: Martin and Sylvia Jones.|
An electronic play space was opened on King George V Playing Field by Councillor Sheila Stuart, Mayor of Cambridge, on 1 August 2012.
The opening was attended by local residents and children as well as Council staff and representatives of Kompan, the supplier.
Local History Group web page: Opening of Electronic play space, August 2012.
|Opening of electronic play space on King George V Playing Field, 1 August 2012. Photo: Wendy Roberts.|
Contracts exchanged for the first houses to be completed on the Trumpington Meadows development, in Spring Drive off Hauxton Road.
Source of information: Vicky Hathrell, City Council and Barratt Homes.
|Spring Drive off Hauxton Road. Photo: Andrew Roberts, September 2012.|
Work started on the construction of Trumpington Meadows Primary School with a turf-cutting ceremony at the site to the west of the John Lewis building, 10 September 2012. The County Council was represented by Councillor John Powley (Chair) and the school by teachers (Judith Osler and Jo Chrich) and pupils from Fawcett School.
Source of information: Jenny Blackhurst and The Trumpington Federation schools.
|Turf-cutting ceremony for Trumpington Meadows Primary School. Photos: Jenny Blackhurst, 10 September 2012.|
1000- 1- 1001- 1501- 1601- 1701- 1801- 1851- 1901- 1951- 2001-
0 BC 1000 AD 1500 1600 1700 1800 1850 1900 1950 2000 present
|Copyright © Trumpington Local History Group, 2012. Updated 15 October 2012.