|Trumpington Local History Group
Trumpington History Trails: 3
South of the Village Centre
|South of the Village Centre
Changes on the South Side of Trumpington Since the 19th Century
Walk or cycle 3.6 miles/5.8 kms: walk on pavements and footpaths; cycle
on roads and dual use paths
Trumpington History Trails
This is one of a series of history trails about Trumpington and its links to surrounding villages
and Cambridge. We hope that long-established and new residents will find the trails to be a
fascinating way to discover more about the history of the area.
The trails have been developed by the Trumpington Residents’ Association and the Trumpington
Local History Group, with support from Cambridge City Council. The project is led by Andrew
Roberts and Howard Slatter.
Printed copies available free of charge from The Clay Farm Centre (2017) and Trumpington
Contact the Local History Group with feedback: email@example.com.
Download a PDF version of the trail or continue with the route ...
|Glebe Farm, 1964. Maurice Rayner (Stephen Brown) (stop 5).
|Removing railway track, Shelford Road, 1969. Margaret Marrs (Stephen Brown)
|Growing semi-dwarf wheats at the PBI, with Dr Francis Lupton. John Innes
Archive, courtesy John Innes Foundation (stops 12-15).
|Prisoner of War Camp, 1940s, looking west from Hauxton Road. Brother
Herbert Kaden (stop 4).
1. Start at the green by the shops, Anstey Way
Go from the green to the High Street, turn left and go to the junction. Cross Shelford Road to
the open space at the start of Hauxton Road.
2. Hauxton Road
The land to the left was allocated to the Parish Church when Trumpington was enclosed in
1809. The cemetery opened in 1893 when the road from here to Hauxton Mill was still through
countryside (cover photograph). Continue along Hauxton Road. The cul-de-sac of single-storey
homes, Allen Court, was built for retired clergy in 1964, with breeze blocks used as garden walls.
The houses on the left date from about 1930, when there were allotments to the rear. Cross to
the other side of the road at the traffic lights and continue along Hauxton Road to the bridge.
3. Hauxton Road railway bridge
The bridge was constructed as part of the Cambridge-Bedford railway, opened in 1862, in the
cutting now used by the Busway, opened in 2011. The final part of the cutting to the right has
been filled in: the line ran across Anstey Hall Farm to a river bridge. Continue to the road into the
Trumpington Park & Ride site which opened in 2001. Cross this junction, go along Hauxton
Road and stop at the milestone.
4. Turnpike Milestone and PoW Camp
The milestone was erected by Trinity Hall in 1729, the third on the Cambridge-Barkway
turnpike (Trails 2, 7). The land to the right was part of Anstey Hall Farm and then the Plant
Breeding Institute. It is crossed by the M11, opened in 1979 (Trail 7). Looking to the right
towards the M11, the 1940s PoW Camp was to the left of the path/road which goes to the right
(Feature C). Cross Hauxton Road at the junction, to the start of Addenbrooke’s Road.
5. Addenbrooke’s Road and Glebe Farm
Addenbrooke’s Road, opened in 2010, creating a new edge to Cambridge. The land on the left
was farmed until 2010, then developed for housing by Countryside Properties, with the first
homes completed in 2012. This was Vicarage Farm, later Glebe Farm, allocated to the Church
on enclosure in 1809. Glebe Farm was a dairy farm until the mid 1970s when it became an
arable farm with cereals, rape and beans. Take the first left and go along Beech Drive to the
green space, turn right and continue past two other green spaces. Turn right to return to
Addenbrooke’s Road and continue left to Shelford Road.
|Route map: Howard Slatter.
6. Shelford Road junction
This junction was completed in 2010, after the demolition of one house on this side of the road
and two semi-detached houses on the other side. Shelford Road is on the line of the Cambridge-
Great Chesterford turnpike (Trail 8). Apart from the farm, there were no houses along the road
to Great Shelford until the early 1900s. Continue across the junction and go to the roundabout.
7. Clay Farm and the Showground
Most of the land this side of Shelford Road was allocated to the Pemberton family on enclosure
in 1809. This part of Clay Farm was known as the Showground, as the Royal Show was held
here (Feature D). It was a large arable field until 2007, when work started on Addenbrooke's
Road. The first homes in Countryside's Abode development were completed in 2012.
Addenbrooke’s Road goes right (Trail 8), but follow Hobson Avenue straight ahead, completed
in 2013. The lime trees were planted in 2011, when they were 20 year old specimens.
8. Community Garden and Hobson's Park
Continue past the site of a new primary school on the left to a crossing point where a
Community Garden is being developed. If the path to the right is open, go right to Hobson’s
Brook, along the line of an old farm track which started in the village (Trail 3, 10). This part of
Hobson's Park opened in 2016-17 (Trail 5). Return to Hobson Avenue and continue to the
Busway. If the first path to the park was closed, turn right along the Busway path to another
access (Trail 5), then return to Hobson Square.
9. Hobson Square and Clay Farm Centre
Hobson Square and the Clay Farm Centre open from 2016-17, with the 'Bronze House'
sculpture as the centrepiece of the square (Trail 4, 5). The Centre has a library, hall, community
rooms, café and health centre. Continue left along the Busway path, with the Virido development
to the right of the path, including high-spec sustainable homes. The tree belt on the left was
planted alongside the former railway line in the 1980s.
|Harvesting on Clay Farm, near Hobson’s Brook, August 2007. Andrew Roberts
10. The Busway Trumpington stop
The Busway opened in 2011, following the Cambridge-Bedford railway route from Cambridge
Station to Trumpington Park & Ride site. There is a time capsule buried in the pavement at the
bus stop, marked by a ‘green man'. Continue along the Busway path.
11. Railway/Busway cutting
The area to the right is a Community Orchard and Foster Road Allotments (Trail 5). The cutting
dates from the original railway, reused 150 years later for the Busway. After the railway track
was removed, the cutting became a nature reserve, with an open stream to the right (now
enclosed). There is also a buried high-pressure gas main and a buried pipe bringing water from
the river for use by the farm. The stream and services were a challenge when the Busway was
constructed, with the beams forming the track being laid over protective slabs. Go under the old
railway bridges (carrying Shelford Road and Hauxton Road) and follow the path up the slope,
turn sharp right and cross the road. Go on the path along the perimeter of the Park & Ride site.
12. Trumpington Meadows
The homes to the right were the first phase of Trumpington Meadows developed by Grosvenor
and Barratt Homes, completed from 2012. Go beyond the John Lewis building past a play area
on the right to Osprey Drive. Trumpington Meadows Primary School is on the left, opened in
2013, with a local centre and shops being built straight ahead. Go right along Osprey Drive, with
a view to the tower of Trumpington Church. Osprey, Consort, Charger and other local street
names are derived from crops developed by PBI. Turn left into Charger Road, to the Country
13. Trumpington Meadows Country Park
The Country Park opened in 2015, with paths giving access to Byron’s Pool, the riverside and
Grantchester (Trail 6). Return to Osprey Drive and continue straight ahead along Consort
Avenue to the green space and play area.
14. Anstey Hall
Anstey Hall is to the left through the trees, with the current house dating from about 1670, on
the site of a Medieval manor (Trails 1, 6). Nearly all the land this side of Hauxton Road, from
here as far as Hauxton Mill, was allocated to Christopher Anstey on enclosure in 1809, forming
Anstey Hall Farm. Continue along Consort Avenue.
15. Plant Breeding Institute (PBI)
The PBI had glasshouses, workshops, etc., across the site, with its headquarters building near
Hauxton Road (Feature B). A golden brick has been built into the wall of 88 properties, to show
the intersection of new homes with the old PBI buildings, as at 39 Consort Avenue. Approaching
the Hauxton Road junction, go left on the bus road, to the entrance into the Waitrose store.
16. Waitrose and Anstey Hall
The driveway from Maris Lane to PBI disappeared under the car park when Waitrose was built
in 2000. The roofline of Anstey Hall can be seen to the left across the car park. Return to
Hauxton Road and turn left. Go beside the former tollhouse and weighbridge house (Trail 2) and
cross the road to return to Anstey Way.
A. The Cambridge-Bedford Railway
The railway line from Cambridge to Bedford and Bletchley opened in 1862. It ran alongside the
London line as it left Cambridge station, from north to south across the Clay Farm fields, into a
cutting crossed by bridges carrying Shelford Road and Hauxton Road, then on an embankment
through Anstey Hall Farm, before crossing a river bridge out of Trumpington. The line closed in
1968 and the track was taken up in 1969. The stretch from the station to Hauxton Road was
converted into the Busway which opened in 2011. A local resident who grew up in Shelford
Road in the 1950s remembers “I was entranced by the trains and loved to watch the steam drift
across the gardens on a still evening, when the 6:15 pm to Bletchley passed through the cutting. I
would charge up to the north east parapet of the bridge on my tricycle when a train was due”.
With infrequent connections from Bletchley to Oxford, the cross-country line was a favourite
with university students.
B. The Plant Breeding Institute
The Plant Breeding Institute (PBI) was established in 1912. Initially part of the University, it
became a Research Institute in 1948. The site in Trumpington was acquired in 1950 and
formally opened in 1955, with a headquarters building, glasshouses, research laboratories,
workshops and other agricultural facilities. Many local people worked at the site, which was the
former Anstey Hall Farm, extending from Trumpington village to Hauxton Mill. PBI was
purchased by Unilever in 1987 and continued as Plant Breeding International Cambridge (PBIC).
This became part of Monsanto in 1998 and the site was later sold to Grosvenor and named
Trumpington Meadows. PBI and PBIC were a world centre for the development of new
varieties of arable and herbage crops, such as Maris Piper potatoes and Consort wheat. The
‘Maris’ prefix was taken from Maris Lane, at the entrance to the site, which itself derived from
the local Maris family.
C. The Prisoner of War Camp and Hostel
The Trumpington Prisoner of War (PoW) Camp was west of Hauxton Road, close to the
Milestone (stop 4). It held Italian, Austrian and then German prisoners during and after World
War II. The photograph was donated by the widow of one of the prisoners, Armin Renner of
Chemnitz, Saxony, through Brother Herbert Kaden, who - with his mother - befriended
prisoners during the War. At the time of an International Red Cross inspection on 9 February
1943, there were Italian prisoners, with a capacity of 750. In early 1945, it was described as a
German working camp. By the end of 1945, it was an all Austrian camp, with Germans there
from May 1946. A number of the prisoners worked on surrounding farms and were lodged with
local farmers after the War. After the PoW camp closed in 1948 it became a National Service
Hostel for the accommodation of men employed in the crucial post-war construction industry.
The site finally closed in about 1954.
D. The Royal Showground
|Aerial view of the 1961 Royal Show, located on the farmland between the
London railway line and Shelford Road, with the Cambridge-Bedford railway
cutting and the estate to the right. Antony Pemberton (stop 7).
The annual Royal Show was run by the Royal Agricultural Society of England from 1839-2009.
The farmland to the east of Shelford Road was used for the show in 1951, 1960 and 1961.
These events were major celebrations of farming, with large-scale structures being erected and
high visitor numbers. The shows in 1960 and 1961 were an experiment to demonstrate the
advantage of not moving around the country each year, when canvass buildings and 20,000
railway sleepers used for roads had to be transported to each location. As a result, it was agreed
to move the show to a permanent site at Stoneleigh and Francis Pemberton (who owned the
Trumpington site) was responsible for establishing the new venue. Local residents remember the
excitement of the shows and allowing their front drives and gardens to be used for parking.
|Shepherd and flock on the
Cambridge to London
road (Hauxton Road), c.